Dieseldonkey

150 DSG Shuttle Conversion
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I don't know if because it's a van with larger brakes, or if VW use a soft brake pad........or it's just cost cutting crap, but I've never known a vehicle that contaminates its wheels so quickly in brake dust. Clean them and after one drive, they're manky again. And I ain't heavy on my brakes at all. I'm also careful to wipe any tyre dressing over spray from the rim, to prevent the dust from sticking to this. Anyone of you respected detailing types recommend an effective coating to put on the wheels. Ideally would like something that would allow me just to rinse the wheels down after a drive to get rid of the dust. Is there such a product that doesn't require a bank loan for a 25ml bottle.

Just on a similar note, when the time comes, any recommendations on brake pads that produce low levels of dust. I'm sure back in the day EBC Greenstuff was the brand for this. However it's 25 years since I thumbed a copy of Max Power, so no idea what's current in this field.

I don't know if because it's a van with larger brakes, or if VW use a soft brake pad........or it's just cost cutting crap, but I've never known a vehicle that contaminates its wheels so quickly in brake dust. Clean them and after one drive, they're manky again. And I ain't heavy on my brakes at all. I'm also careful to wipe any tyre dressing over spray from the rim, to prevent the dust from sticking to this. Anyone of you respected detailing types recommend an effective coating to put on the wheels. Ideally would like something that would allow me just to rinse the wheels down after a drive to get rid of the dust. Is there such a product that doesn't require a bank loan for a 25ml bottle.

Just on a similar note, when the time comes, any recommendations on brake pads that produce low levels of dust. I'm sure back in the day EBC Greenstuff was the brand for this. However it's 25 years since I thumbed a copy of Max Power, so no idea what's current in this field.

I've tested loads of spray on coatings and none of them work as they claim. The only way to make things easier, is just to make sure the wheels are sealed with a wax or ceramic coat, just to make it easier to clean them. People rate Gtechniq, and I do have a bottle, but I found their stuff effected the powder coating last time i used it, and haven't tried it since.

As for pads. I went for the EBC Greenstuff for this exact reason.
My honest opinion: garbage.

Maybe they do dust a little less than original, but the downsides certainly don't justify the change. I only replaced the pads, and kept the original discs, but the combination of EBC pads and VW discs were awful. They brake faded really quickly, they were noisy under heavy braking, and worst of all, they seemed so hard, they never wore down.
I ditched mine a few weeks ago, and went for a full oem Pagid front and rear disc and pads. This is worlds apart from the EBC. Far better braking, no noise, no fade, and little dusting compared to VW originals.
It's not a huge chore cleaning a banded 19, because they are a simple wipe round with a detailing spray and cloth, but I'm really happy with the Pagid setup, and wouldn't touch the EBC again.

I’ve been very surprised at how well Armour All works, far better than the Gtechniq stuff I put on my old wheels.

Armor All Shield for Wheels 16300EN - 2x300ml =2pk https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LJRT52W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9WmUCbMJM3GSE

I cleaned the wheels, sprayed it on liberally, didn’t bother to wipe off any excess, left them to dry for an hour or two and they’ve stayed clean for weeks and weeks.

I’ve been very surprised at how well Armour All works, far better than the Gtechniq stuff I put on my old wheels.

Armor All Shield for Wheels 16300EN - 2x300ml =2pk https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LJRT52W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9WmUCbMJM3GSE

I cleaned the wheels, sprayed it on liberally, didn’t bother to wipe off any excess, left them to dry for an hour or two and they’ve stayed clean for weeks and weeks.

I've tried that, infact I used it on the motorhome wheels just before coming out to Austria, where I am currently. It was a 1000 mile drive, through all weathers including snow, and the wheels are as filthy as you'd expect. I wonder if I either expect more than is realistic with these products, or I just do too many miles, but I kind of settled on the fact wheels get dusty, and need cleaning more than any other part of a vehicle.

I've tried that, infact I used it on the motorhome wheels just before coming out to Austria, where I am currently. It was a 1000 mile drive, through all weathers including snow, and the wheels are as filthy as you'd expect. I wonder if I either expect more than is realistic with these products, or I just do too many miles, but I kind of settled on the fact wheels get dusty, and need cleaning more than any other part of a vehicle.

Let me take a snap when my van comes back from the converters, I only did the front wheels last time and it’s the rears that are caked in dust, the fronts look amazingly clean. I was genuinely surprised at how good this stuff is and how easy to apply.

I've had faultless and outstanding results with Gtechniq C5. It lasts a couple of years per application, and needs just a hose off each time. It's an invisible coating, and I've never had issues with it on lacquer.

My 110K Cayenne;

20190419_212620_resized.jpg
(Yes, the tyres are feathered on the outside edge... Replaced knackered OEM bushes (after 105K miles) with poly bushes, and didn't bother with alignment check.:whistle:)

I have treated all my wheels with it. The Golf is due a wash tomorrow. I'll post after pics.

golf.jpg

I was a mega fan of PLE722 or whatever it was at the time - the early ceramic coatings around 2010. I am in no way blindly brand loyal, but I find all of the Gtechniq stuff very good indeed. Last year I polished some grey UPVC fascia board (sorry @Tourershine), then treated with Crystal Serum Light & Exo - it's still like new, and hasn't faded like it did soon after installation.

cupboard.jpg

Just tried Triclean on some grubby engineered wood floor that we couldn't get as clean as we'd like. I have to do the rest of it now. Likewise I do the red leather in the Cayenne twice a year with it, and the interior comes up box fresh....

triclean.jpg

Mods - I am in no way associated with Gtechniq, just find their products outstanding.

I've got most of the Gtechniq range, but didn't rate their wheel sealant at all. I've still got half a bottle, might treat my rear wheels with it and give it another go.

Back