Before I Pull Thetrigger On Led Touch Lights...

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by CALLAKN, 5 Nov 2018.

1. CALLAKN

CALLAKN Member T6 Pro

hi guys, little advice about to fit new ply line with carpets etc etc etc, going to wire in 4LED touch lights removing the previous stock ones.

Should there be anything to worry about? I am an electrician, but not auto... presume I can just inline through the lighting cable that’s already there, and feed off it.

Cheers

Also, looking st these -

6 x 12v Dimatec 1.2w Touch Control led recessed Light Nickel Camper vw | eBay

Any one with experience of this light

2. Deaky

Deaky On yer bike VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    Just be aware that the +ve on the courtesy light circuit is timed. It's triggered on by unlocking or opening a door and then after a while it's turned off by the BCM to prevent flattening the starter battery.

3. CALLAKN

CALLAKN Member T6 Pro

So if I wire them in, they should come on like courtesy lights do, on timer... until I switch them off?

Should I wire them differently?

4. Deaky

Deaky On yer bike VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    The circuit that is already there will have 3 wires. Red/Black wire +12v (timed as my post above), A brown wire permanent -ve and a brown/red switched -ve

If they are touch lights then they will only come on when touched, they won't come on automatically with the original courtesy light.

If you want them to operate independently from the courtesy light circuit then you need to fit a permanent +12v that won't be shut down by the BCM.

5. CALLAKN

CALLAKN Member T6 Pro

Or could I put a switch in place in the side of the van that ultimately does what the courtesy lights at the moment do... on, off and courtesy doors on...

6. Dieseldonkey

Dieseldonkey 150 DSG Shuttle Conversion VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    2 of my 8 spot lights are touch activated and are the same as those in your link. However they are wired into the leisure battery. The other 6 are not touch sensitive but are switchable through a DPDT switch. They work off either the courtesy function and vehicle battery or can be switched to be permanently on, powered by the leisure battery. My battery monitor regularly shows 14 plus volts when the engines running. So I'd just keep a check on their temperature if they're on for prolonged periods of time. So far though, I've had no issues with them.

CALLAKN likes this.
  7. CALLAKN

CALLAKN Member T6 Pro

Yeah I’m feeling the best option might be to just wire in a battery with a small switching unit. Plan to do so at some point anyway so might just crack on with it