Bed causing a sore back

We've got a Comfortz Leisure one, which is really good. We've then got a single sized Silentnight memory foam topper from Amazon which stays in the poptop all the time, as the supplied one wasn't really enough.

Will you be able to close the roof with the topper in place or do you anticipate having to take it off for transport?
Hi
It can stay on the original mattress in the day time with bed up but it is too thick I suspect to stay up there when roof down in drive mode.
Its being delivered next week so will let you know when I get my van back!!
My older son has now borrowed it and is going to Cornwall.
One day I'll get a turn!!
:(

My pop top has those plastic springs with a mattress about 50mm thick. Really comfortable and have never needed a topper. The lower one is effectively fold down board with a much thicker built in mattress, I've never slept on it but my granddaughter says it's really comfy and sleeps like a log once I can stop her giggling. I forget the name of those springs but I know you can also buy them aftermarket, they really are the dogs if you can fit them as they take up hardly any depth

We're sleeping on the contoured side, so think that may well have a bearing on the problem.:cautious:
That's why we got a mattress topper. Think I may have to invest in a better one.

I *believe* that I've heard of some contoured mattress toppers that are shaped to create a flat bed - but this may only be the VW supplied one for the caravelle. It may be worth trying to find or make something similar.

Thank you will take a look.
I *believe* that I've heard of some contoured mattress toppers that are shaped to create a flat bed - but this may only be the VW supplied one for the caravelle. It may be worth trying to find or make something similar.

We use a 5cm self inflating sleeping mat on top of our bed, about £30 for a double and very comfy!

Those of you with the Zonesleep toppers, what sort of size do they pack down to for storing in your van, based on a double? also are you having them made to measure or using a standard size.

Thanks

Oooo we are getting back problems from the RIB bed, interested to read others experiences.
Also looking at toppers to make things a bit more comfy. I thought we might not have the bed adjusted correctly but seems we do....
I guess its a storage issue as well, I mean where do you put it when its not in use. Will it strain the pop top if its kept up there?

Last edited:
We have a Comfortz Leisure one, which I think would probably be too big to fit in the pop top. Might be ok though, I guess - I have two 1 inch memory foam toppers that I keep up there at all times, as well as a thick sleeping bag. We keep the one from the RIB in the boot, but it feels very bulky when folded up and put in a small space.

Thanks for the info Mojo80, this is what Im worried about. Obviously we need to be comfortable but the extra bulk of a topper and what to do with it...*ugh*
I think I'll watch some more on the thread and see if there are any more ideas.
Nice van btw, similar looking to ours :thumbsup:

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that it would fit in the pop top width wise, anyway. Lots of people use Duvalays or other options, but I guess all will come with some sacrifice in terms of storage space when packed away. That said, we definitely wouldn't be without our topper, it's incredibly comfortable. Go Team Black :thumbsup:

We use Duvalays on our Rib - I think they would be too thick to store in most pop tops.

Storage not a problem though as they roll up nicely and just sit on the parcel shelf (head portion of Rib) during the day and/or for transport. Added benefit is that Duvalay sleeping bags mean that all of your bedding is in a single roll (topper, quilt, cotton sleeping bag/shhets, pilllow) with nothing else to store.

Have a look at the zonesleep...someone keeps recommending them, think it's @Polzeylad ??? They're supposed to provide good support for back problems. I always get a sore back if I sleep in a strange bed...been alright in the camper as the seats have memory foam in them and I have a thin, cheapo memory foam topper.
Bought Zonesleep after recommendation and can’t fault the comfort, albeit pricy would buy again.

Those of you with the Zonesleep toppers, what sort of size do they pack down to for storing in your van, based on a double? also are you having them made to measure or using a standard size.

Thanks
Packs down rolled up to the width 5’ by 9” fits in an old gazebo holder

We bought the extra bag for our old Zonesleep; annoyingly the old one was really heavy duty and well made but we sold it and the topper when we sold the T5.1 Cali; the new bag is less substantial but still decent enough.
If you fold it carefully it's around 3x2x1ft; easily stashes away.
Don't stick anything more than a sheet in a pop top though or you could damage the roof.

We researched long and hard and the Zonesleep is the best upgrade to the torture bed. The Cali bed is narrow with a cut out so a bigger bed topper will need more space to store.

Still way off a comfy home bed and we don't sleep that well on our long trips away (the kids are fine upstairs!) but the best we could find.

130 RIB Bed here, super comfy with a 2.5cm Memory Foam Topper.

The Topper folds / rolls quite small so is easy to store.

Purchased from Amazon for around £30

as @Davenjo says above - duvalay is too thick to store with roof down.
It stores very nicely in pop top during the day when all pitched up etc.
If good at rolling then it rolls up nicely, and TBH made a cotton bag to store it in.
Yes you have to find a day space for it but its well worth it to get a decent nice sleep!

Back