Tailgate conversion - BCM Connector pins and numbering system.

Hi All
Finally I'm trying to run a wire from my tailgate conversion to the BMC. I've run the wire, removed the BCM and opened the black connector.

What I can't see is where pin 23 is in the connector.

Does anyone have a diagram showing where the pins are?

Thanks in advance

I managed to get a few hours working on my van this morning. Pauly has sent me some pins so I can connect the tailgate lock to the BCM but I still can't get it working.

I've run 2 wires from the BCM to the lock, one goes direct to the lock motor and one goes to the switches. Earthing the switch wire should trigger the BCM to unlock the tailgate. But it isn't :(

I've connected VCDS and in Module 9, I've enabled what I can see for the tailgate. When testing an output, there is an option to test for Rear Lid Unlocking but it gives a message "This output is not supported by the control module". I hope this doesn't mean I need a higher spec BCM.

Any ideas?
Hi what are the PIN numbers please

I haven’t yet still to fit the tailgate just wanted to know how to wire up. I have VCDS so I can program
Ah ok. I thought you were trying to identify the pin numbers in the plug. There’s a full set of VW wiring diagrams in the download section.

Sorry still can’t find T6 (not 6.1) BCM wiring numbers am I missing something?
Take a look at the basic equipment and convenience systems. These will cover the rear wiper and heated screen and the central locking. Make sure to look for the models with tailgate variants. These will give you the connection points of all the rear lid electrics which you can trace back to the BCM (J519)

if your struggling with any bits send me a PM and I’ll try and help :thumbsup:

From my other post..

I've had a few people contact me to ask how to wire up the tailgate lock, so here's how.

Why it's different
The barn doors uses a mechanical lock similar to the front doors. When you unlock the van, the body control module (BCM) sends power to all the locks for a fraction of a second which moves a solenoid in the locks to unlock them.
The tailgate uses electrical switched on the outside and inside of the tailgate, and sometimes one in the front door to tell the BCM to open the tailgate lock. Even though these switches are pressed, the BCM will only open the tailgate if the van isn't moving and the doors are unlocked.

How do you do it?
The wire telling the lock to unlock on the barn doors can't be used and needs to be cut and taped up. This wires does go back to the BCM but is still needed to unlock the front doors so don't change this wire on the BCM.
You need to add 2 wires to the tailgate connector from the BCM, one for the switches, and one for the lock.

Connections.
The tailgate has it's own harness with a 17pin connector joining it to the van.
1 - LOCK - From Pin14 on the tailgate 17pin connector to Pin10 on the black plug of the BCM.
2 - Switch - From Pin13 on the tailgate 17pin connector to Pin23 on the black plug of the BCM. (If you want any additional switches to open the tailgate, just add another switch in parallel earthing Pin23 from the BCM)
3 - The tailgate needs an earth. Pin 15 needs connecting to the earth point down the D-Pillar near the rear light.

Coding
Now you need to tell the BCM that a tailgate is fitted and it needs to look for the switch signal.
Using VCDS, go to Module 9 Central Electrics and enable these.
Byte 01 Bit 5 Central Locking/Rear Lid: Contact controlled on detent
Byte 01 Bit 7 Central Locking/Rear Lid: Rear Lid Locking/Unlocking via Central Locking
Byte 07 Bit 5 Central Locking/Rear Lid: One-Motor-Lock installed
(This is from memory, hopefully someone can check it)

Testing
Hopefully at this point your tailgate is working correctly.

To test the lock, you can manually trigger it using VCDS.
09-Rear Lid-Output test.jpg

VCDS monitors if the latch is fully engaged or not. Select Measuring Blocks Group 006:

Field 2, field 3 = "Open", "Open" = when rear lid fully openField 2, field 3 = "Closed", "Open" = when rear lid ajar (at first latch).In the picture below the lid was obviously closed.
To check if the BCM is
getting the signal to open the lock, the statu
s shown in Group 008, field 4. Just indicates that the switch is pressed or not.

09-Rear lid-Meas.Blocks_a.jpg

When you say you can't find the wiring numbers, do you mean on the connector or on the wiring diagrams?

Take a look at the basic equipment and convenience systems. These will cover the rear wiper and heated screen and the central locking. Make sure to look for the models with tailgate variants. These will give you the connection points of all the rear lid electrics which you can trace back to the BCM (J519)

if your struggling with any bits send me a PM and I’ll try and help :thumbsup:
Thank you much appreciated

Will I need to order some pins for the block ? Haven’t looked yet as fitting the tailgate in a couple of weeks and just trying to get all the wiring tighter
Yes you will need suitable pins or repair wires.

I'll post in here as well, as someone might be able to figure this out - I'm stuck at the moment!

Tailgate has stopped working from the outside :(
(It's a proper pain as I have the California Chair panel fitted)

Individual components seem OK.

1. The Open / Closed detection works on the dash - in frustration I have also bought a new lock and that works just the same,

2. The tailgate micro switch is working. I get the same logic if I pull out the blue plug and short the pins.

3. I bought a new actuator and also tested the old one on the bench, both are working if I flash 12V across the two pins

The logic seems to be OK.

With the lock mechanism closed, dash status shows tailgate door closed. I press the tailgate handle and the 5V monitoring single goes to 12V momentarily - but actuator doesn't actuate.
If I open the the lock manually, dash status shows tailgate door open and I only see the 5V BCM monitoring no change in signal when I press the tailgate switch.

It's like the signal from the BCM is too short /too weak to close the actuator ?

The tailgate wiper and number plate lights all work OK. Only other thing to mention is that I did have an internal switch, but with the Cali Chair panel that became redundant, so it's disconnected - but given that the tailgate switch gives me a signal, that the BCM recognises and the BCM sends the signal to the actuator then I think this is OK.

Getting the Cali Chair panel out is a pain but that looks like the next step. Then ripping the rest of the van apart to chase the wiring. But as I'm getting the signals too from the tailgate I'm properly confused as to what I'm looking for.

Any Clues ?

With lots of talk about BCM's and pins in this thread I thought it would be a good place to ask for advice for my side-assist retrofit

I'm really struggling to remove two pins so I can attach wires to them.
They are pin 18 & 19 (B) which are the smaller ones in the middle.
I've split the plug, and can release the pin so it slides easily a little way, and then the 'tang' is getting caught and I cannot work out how to release it.
Does anyone know how to do it please?

Back