Battery warranty issue due to covid

Andyman

Photographer
T6 Guru
Hi everyone, hope all members are safe and well

28 days ago exactly, got out of my ‘velle, stood on a stone or rock, it rolled and I broke my leg

yesterday I hobbled to the vehicle to prep it for a journey to hospital today and it wouldn’t start, AA rock up and say battery totally done in and needs to be replaced, he can’t do it and roadside assistance need to show up

this morning roadside assistance show up, guy straight off says, “if it is flat and ruined because it’s not been started for a month, then it isn’t covered under warranty and the battery only is £380.00”

£380, no vat or service added yet!!

I speak to vw they say if his test Shows vehicle not been used then it won’t be considered as a manufacturers defect and as such not covered under warranty, anyone else experience something like this?

am i not able then to just buy a battery and have it fitted? AA and vw say no because there are so many things involved and it would invalidate the warranty of the vehicle entirely

roadside assistance guy very quick to point out my BlackVue dashcam (which has a smart battery voltage cut out installed) and said “there you go, that’s likely to have caused it, so not a warranty thing” as though he arrived intending to screw me down

mad ice sought on this please

Sounds a helpful chap :(

You can buy an equivalent battery elsewhere and code it in. Not sure about warranty though. I’d argue that if it’s a like for like replacement and coded correctly, it should have no impact on warranty.

Battery should be around £130. Coding should be done if possible but not immediately imperative to get you up and running.

Back