Battery Charging

Before , during and after using ctek time to go charger. The Lead was long enough to sit charger on dashboard inside t van, plugged into extension lead which I put on front passenger seat. Connected negative to a bolt next to the battery. Voltage before was 12.1 with engine off. About an hour later it was 12.6. The charger was a little more expensive than some others...£83 from Amazon, but I,m really pleased with it . Thanks again to Dell..
51315B81-EEBA-4A2B-BD38-67DCD78F24BD.jpeg F32017CB-50DA-44A3-BD3C-14FA781CBADB.jpeg 770E6E5C-3DD6-4ABD-B03F-F9D09CBD6A3C.jpeg 3D4EB8AB-3A42-4601-B63C-83C499FD75FB.jpeg 5685B59E-4263-4247-ACB1-22D1F41EA923.jpeg

Yes, I have an Anderson connect for a Renogy portable 100 w panel. (yellow cable + ground) It works properly.

The DC/DC charger and the battery are installed under the driver (left) seat of my California Beach MY2018. Lithium profile is selected (green+ Orange wire) and also connected to an optional led.

I installed a Victron BMV712 battery monitor in order to use the themperature relay to open the circuit when freezing (blue wire) but it did not work at all , the Redarc seems to be in Standard Mode input when the circuit of the blue wire is open.
I do not know how to switch off the DC/DC charger automaticaly or even manual when freezing or when I wanna do

With the Van stopped for a couple if seems, if I try to charge the main battery with a EHU, when the battery reachs about 13,2 volts the redarc start to charge the leisure battery too.

I have this photo of my installation.

Thank you Dell.

View attachment 54508

I've had a reply from Redarc tech support.

See below...

××××××××××××××××××

Thank you for the enquiry.

The reason the BCDC is not turning off will be due to alternator still producing a voltage above 13.2v. Even without power to the blue IGN wire, if the input voltage (red wire) is above 13.2 the BCDC will still actively charge.

The solution is to use a ignition triggered relay (can also wire to a switch) to disconnect the RED wire on the BCDC. This will guarantee the input is disconnected and the BCDC will stop charging. If you go down this path, please use a relay that can handle the max current the BCDC can draw from the starting battery (I recommend a 60 amp relay for the BCDC1240D). A kit like THIS would work well, but you can source any suitable relay.

I hope this helps , please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

××××××××××××××××××

So looks like they are recommended that you use the BMV712 low temp output to control a 60amp relay to shunt the dc-dc main starter feed on/off. (For low temp disconect of your lifepo4.. LTD)

Last edited:
Thank you so much @Dellmasive.

I think I will section the red cable with a manual switch to avoid charging whenever I want.

Can you tell me if it is convenient to do it before or after the fuse, or if it is necessary to add another fuse after the switch?

My lithium battery (Fraron 100ah) already brings protection LTD to avoid charging below 0ºC and LVD below 10.5 volts, but I remain calmer if I can also manually section it.
As a counterpart I understand that it will consume from 8 to 100 mA of the leisure battery when it is switched off.
See picture below

Even with the charger disconnected, the leisure battery will receive some charge through the circuit of the auxiliary elements powered when the engine is on. I don't know how much intensity and if it will be dangerous for a frozen battery.

Specs Redarc 1240 D.jpg

I'd put the switch after the fuse. (On the red supply cable to the dc-dc)

Make sure the switch is 60A or higher rated.....

Maybe one like this.....

Screenshot_20191118-092014_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Update on battery charge. My main battery is still low on power after standing a day or two. Engine starts but turns very slowly. Garage says the battery is ok and suggested using a solar trickle charger. I have ctek time to go charger but think that a solar trickle which plugs into 12v socket on dash would be good as I can use this when we are away camping.
Any suggestions please?? I have seen several solar chargers on amazon but don’t know if they are suitable for my Varta AMG battery.

Update on battery charge. My main battery is still low on power after standing a day or two. Engine starts but turns very slowly. Garage says the battery is ok and suggested using a solar trickle charger. I have ctek time to go charger but think that a solar trickle which plugs into 12v socket on dash would be good as I can use this when we are away camping.
Any suggestions please?? I have seen several solar chargers on amazon but don’t know if they are suitable for my Varta AMG battery.
Have a look here 》

I done that same thing. Solar PWM direct into dash 12v socket for starter charging.

Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

Mine sits for weeks on end unused so I keep one of these plugged into the cig socket. It will not charge the battery but it does keep it topped up.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLPOWERS-...HRWWQ09N4DGP&refRID=0DZJY45WHRWWQ09N4DGP&th=1

Yes, a solar charge controller is recommended, most kits will come with one. (PWM are cheaper and more basic).

Thanks. Have ordered this.. It plugs into the OBD socket. Been told that I don’t need a charge controller
? Any thoughts?
71wPxBffhHL._SX522_.jpg

Not keen on those low wattage/non solar controller versions myself (the two I tried were unable to charge up the battery (too lower power generated)) . . . . Keep us posted with your results.

Be mindful of fusing when dealing with 12v and batterys.

Sockets are 24/7 powered, if you have a factory leisure battery the top dash one will be leisure fed and lower mid dash starter fed.....if not the both starter fed.

A cheap 12v battery monitor will show you what's going on..

Battery Monitoring -- How I Done It --

Either of the two on the dashboard and yes permanently live by default.

Great, thanks. I have an issue with the battery draining, so might get the same panel you have to keep it topped up. Do you unplug it at all or leave it in there permanently?

Great, thanks. I have an issue with the battery draining, so might get the same panel you have to keep it topped up. Do you unplug it at all or leave it in there permanently?
My van sits unused for months on end and I just leave it plugged in all the time whilst stationary - it does keep my battery topped up but it will not charge it from flat so ensure it is charged before setting up.
I think you must unplug it before you start the engine and not use whilst engine running - not sure if I am right but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Seeing as the van isn't likely to be going anywhere for sometime I decided to invest in a CTEK time to go. Today I've used for the first time and when first connected it showed 8+ hours of charge time remaining - just gone to check it after circa 4 hours and the 'Go" light is now on suggesting fully charged (to 80%).

Does anyone know how accurate these charge indicator lights normally are on these CTEK chargers and/or if this sounds right?

Thanks.

Back