Barn doors outer storage

Toufic_13

Hello everyone!

I am looking for storage solution(s) for the outer part of my barn doors. (Similar to the photos attached)

All I found is the sherpa ladder.
Anyone has any recos?

Thx!AF6C0CF2-46F7-4FC1-85FD-F8F9A27548C6.jpegED0E516A-A4A9-490D-9EB2-E8CD0F4A5182.png

I’m using a Fiamma Carry-Bike Rack to carry bikes on the back of my barn doors.

It has a 35kg weight limit, but I imagine that’s due to the fold down bike stand part. I’m sure the main frame could potentially be modified to carry other things.

I like it because it hooks on the top and bottom of the door, no drilling required. And the doors can still be opened.

AFCF428F-9362-4CFB-875D-3C0D359C7ACB.jpeg

It has a 35kg weight limit, but I imagine that’s due to the fold down bike stand part. I’m sure the main frame could potentially be modified to carry other things.

I like it because it hooks on the top and bottom of the door, no drilling required. And the doors can still be opened.

View attachment 158052
I like that setup a lot, up to now we have wedged in two folding bikes that take up a lot of space inside. The bike's weight is 40Kg total (with batteries or 36Kg without) so hoping the rack will stand up to this. Just got to find a place here in Spain to go buy one. Question also about height of bikes, can this be lowered a little?

Thanks for photo fitted.

order one tonight and should be here in 3/5 days. Looking forward to fitting it.

View attachment 158052
I have a bike rack attached to the tow-hitch. I am looking for some sort of railing that is hooked on the door(s) where a storage box can be attached to it. it seems my only way forward is finding a garage that customizes such solutions

I looked at the tow-hitch idea, but here in Spain fitting tow-bar is around 900 euros (£850) and then there is the ITV (MOT) has to be done as it is a modification to the vehicle. Then there is the opening of the barn doors, so have ordered above and will update with pictures when arrives and fitted.

Well it arrived this morning and the instructions were at best poor and at worst OMG...... nonetheless wife and I remained married and got on with it without any bolts left over.....

Photo's
Bug 6.jpg
Lining it up took ages.
IMG_0533.jpeg
Looks great from the side.
Bug 5.jpeg
Folding electric bikes (less batteries
bug1.jpg
I was worried about them sticking out.... no worries
Bug3.jpg
Happy days
Bug4.jpeg
Room to spare
Bug2.jpeg
Just below roofline, so can access car parks under height barriers if needed.

The reason I went for this setup is to fit a tow-bar here in Spain is upwards of £900.00 + new MOT (ITV) and then the cost of a tow hitch of some sort. Very happy now, just need warning board for Spain, and we are off........

Bug 5.jpeg

Well it arrived this morning and the instructions were at best poor and at worst OMG...... nonetheless wife and I remained married and got on with it without any bolts left over.....

Photo's
View attachment 159130
Lining it up took ages.
View attachment 159136
View attachment 159137
View attachment 159138
View attachment 159139
Happy days
View attachment 159140
Room to spare
View attachment 159141

The reason I went for this setup is to fit a tow-bar here in Spain is upwards of £900.00 + new MOT (ITV) and then the cost of a tow hitch of some sort. Very happy now, just need warning board for Spain, and we are off........

View attachment 159131
Solid work It seems like a great solution and practical! Well done

Photo's
View attachment 159130
Lining it up took ages.
View attachment 159136
View attachment 159137
View attachment 159138
View attachment 159139
Happy days
View attachment 159140
Room to spare
View attachment 159141

View attachment 159131
Quick question, does your top outer bracket sit like this also? I spent hours trying to get a better/flush fit but figured in the end it must just be like this…

311ACD72-5AEE-47CA-8C9A-633B4A847189.jpeg

Quick question, does your top outer bracket sit like this also? I spent hours trying to get a better/flush fit but figured in the end it must just be like this…

View attachment 159247
Yes, I spent 30 minutes fighting with wife over this. No matter what I tried to do I could not get it to sit flush unless I moved it towards the side of the van (so sticking out to far) I'm happy enough that it will not cause a problem, but will keep an eye in it for a time. My electric bike's weight is 38kg (without batteries) so also happy that 3kg over will be fine.

Yes, I spent 30 minutes fighting with wife over this. No matter what I tried to do I could not get it to sit flush unless I moved it towards the side of the van (so sticking out to far) I'm happy enough that it will not cause a problem, but will keep an eye in it for a time.
Ah that’s nice to know it’s not just bad fitment on my part – thanks! For what it’s worth, mine has been installed like this for a few months no problem. :thumbsup:

The first few times I used it I went round and ensured all the bolts were still adequately tightened. I would recommend doing that once weight is on there.

Hi I am looking at this very rack, your post is the most detailed one I can find and you have done a great job with the fitting.

The two doubts I have remaining concern the bottom bracket. I have a carbon bumper protector to hide the many scrapes and scratches on my painted rear bumper.

Do you need much clearance to hook the bracket under the door and does the bumper bear the weight of the bikes?

I can see no marks on my bumper to date. We have travelled across Spain, France, Portugal and Germany on some bad roads and bumper looks fine.

I'm not so worried about the bumper protector, but the ability to hook the rack under the door as the protector takes a couple off mm away from the clearance.

Thank you for replying

Back