Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Barn door Reversing Camera Retrofit -- How I Done It --

This is how its works:

Annotation 2019-07-11 070451.jpg

At the time of ordering the van i was told i could not have the RVS CAM option as it was only for tailgate models . . . . yeh right what-ever i thought,

A quick look over at the T6F shop only presented me with a tailgate version

Home page

. . . . so i took to google (this was over a year ago now!).

which led me to this:

Genuine OEM Retrofit Kit - Rear Camera (Low) - Twin Barn Doors - T6

Annotation 2019-07-09 214512.jpg

NEW VW T6 - Rear View Camera KIT - With Guidance Lines - Retrofit -

See behind your car with rear view camera.

A camera at the back of your car shows you what's behind to make reversing safer and easier. Or rear view camera lets you spot any obstacles behind your car - even moving ones - quickly and easily, thanks to the rear view camera.

The camera starts working as soon as you put your car into reverse gear. It shows the area behind your car on your radio or radio navigation system display offering you a clear reversing image with easy-to-follow guidelines. Superimposed graphic lines guide you to the optimal steering lock, guaranteeing fuss-free, smooth parking.

Using the rear view camera means you'll be able to manoeuvre quickly and easily, even into the most difficult parking space. It also alerts you to low-down obstacles which parking sensors cannot always detect. The reversing camera is also a great help when you're hitching up a trailer.

Compatible with Head Unit:

Composition Media
Discover Media
Discover Media Plus

Note:

After installation you need to code the system.
Please contact your local VW dealer or workshop with diagnostic software ( VCDS or ODIS ).

***********************************************************************************************

The kit arrived after a week or so, which induced a new rear plastic assembly including the rear camera module . . . . . . but it was OEM black plastic! . . . . This was then resprayed with the Reflex Silver paint and Laqure i had left over from doing the Sportline Spoiler job.

while that pant was drying . . . . i run in the loom.

it was a case of removing the rear door inner paneling and taking out the lock carrier assembly.

The new camera loom run through the existing door loop into the D-Pillar void and up to the top corner above the roof panel . . . i used the larger rubber bungs that cover the tailgate door-loop holes and a route to drop a draw wire down and fish the cable up.

Next it just follows the roof loom above the ceiling panel up to the bulkhead, above the Cabin ceiling and down behind the A-Pillar.

By now the Paint had dried so the newly painted rear door plastic was swapped over which included the 2x number plate lights.

Two connections were required at the rear which were a body ground and Reverse light signal. . . .

a quick look over here showed me i needed to splice into the rear right light cluster loom: the Brown for ground and Green/Black for Reverse signal.

Annotation 2019-07-09 220422.jpg

Moving up front i needed to insert a new fuse pin into the SC18 fuse box for the ignition switched +12v and the two video wires into the SatNav quad block.

20190709_114601.jpg

after taking half the dash apart to get to the fuse box . . . . . .

20190709_130532.jpg

i realized that there was NO power-bar on the feed side of the fuse block . . .It was just empty plastic . .!

20190709_130716.jpg

But I found some empty fuse locations just across . . . SC35-37 i think.

more info here > VW T6 Fusebox - Fusebox/Fuse Chart SC - Lower Dash Fusebox Listings

The red wire already had a fuse crimp connector on it . . . . . .

I had also got some more from the forum shop over here > Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

so while i had the fuse box out i added some extra fuses to replace the "piggy-back" fuses i had been using.

it was just a case of removing the rear protective fusebox cover and sliding out the pink locking tab. . . . . new fuse inserts added i moved on. (remembering to note the new fuse postitions and what they done)

20190709_130611.jpg

The video feed wired into the back of the RADIO QUADLOCK CONNECTOR on the blue block, pins 6 & 12.

more info here > Discover Media connector block pinouts

just unclip the locking tab to remove the blue block from the quadlock and then unclip the pin-lock . . . . then push the new pins intoplace and refit.

Next was a Bit of VCDS coding . . . . .

a quick look here > VCDS Module Coding List/Guide

and here > Reverse Camera Coding?

led me to the coding (highlighted by @Deaky ):

PDC Module 10 Byte 00
Head unit Module 5F Byte 19

Just tick the two boxes that say RVC install

All done . . . .so next was a quick test before putting everything back together . . .

The PDC works as normal when you select it . . . . But when going into reverse the screen changes to show the rear camera with guide line and a smaller PDC graphic over to the left.

20190709_145912.jpg

20190709_150012.jpg

20190709_150015.jpg

There are also settings that can be changed like Colour,Contrast & brightness.

20190709_150017.jpg

So all looks good. about half hour later all the panel were back in-place and it was job done.

overall time . . . . Hmm, well about 3/4hours - but thats been on/off over the last 12mnths.

there are loads more pics . . . . but i need to find them first. =]

20190709_130551.jpg

20190709_150009.jpg

Last edited:
page held for more pics. . . . .

From afar you cant see it . . .

20190710_082934.jpg

but up close you can . . .

20190710_082943.jpg 20190710_082947.jpg

The old part looks like this . . .

20190710_083115.jpg
20190710_083124.jpg

The new cables run through the existing door loop . . .

20190710_083001.jpg

on thing i did notice was that the new part did not have this nice rubber gasket on it? (but looked like it had the lip to accept it)

20190710_083142.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for a mounting solution for a rear camera.
I like the factory look, but I don’t seem to be able to find a housing for the Kenwood HD camera.

Link.

Anyone know of anything?

@Dellmassive great info here thanks, do you know where I can get those crimp connectors for the rear of the fusebox please? As the forum shop is no more.

TIA!

umm . . ( i got mine from the shop previously)

im not sure but @Pauly or @Deaky ( or someone else?) my have either a part number or place to get them?

the SC fuse box pins to add new circuits?

umm . . ( i got mine from the shop previously)

im not sure but @Pauly or @Deaky ( or someone else?) my have either a part number or place to get them?

the SC fuse box pins to add new circuits?

Yes, the SC fuse box pins. I have 3 piggy backs in the under dash fuse box and want to tidy it up. I'm looking to run a switched ignition live from the central column in one of the unused slots as per some of your other threads (thank you) to a mini fusebox so I can then use this to supply dash cam, reversing camera and rear usb sockets and glove box light. This would mean that it shouldn't drain the battery if left on.

thanks

Send me a pm and we can sort something out
I did exactly that and put a 30 or 40 amp fuse in an empty slot and used that to feed a small fusebox running everything i needed off the ignition live
If you want to keep it extra tidy and hidden buy the VW additional fusebox you get for towbar install that comes with a lead attached and it slots into one of the empty spaces right next to the existing dash fusebox

Send me a pm and we can sort something out
I did exactly that and put a 30 or 40 amp fuse in an empty slot and used that to feed a small fusebox running everything i needed off the ignition live
If you want to keep it extra tidy and hidden buy the VW additional fusebox you get for towbar install that comes with a lead attached and it slots into one of the empty spaces right next to the existing dash fusebox
Do you have anymore details? So far the only ignition live I can find is this one.

Thanks

IMG_20220213_173314.jpg

I populated one of the empty slots so added an extra fuse to supply it, it’s a bit more involved adding another slot as you have to strip a few bits of dash of and remove the fuse box

page held for more pics. . . . .

From afar you cant see it . . .

View attachment 46820

but up close you can . . .

View attachment 46821 View attachment 46822

The old part looks like this . . .

View attachment 46824
View attachment 46825

The new cables run through the existing door loop . . .

View attachment 46823

on thing i did notice was that the new part did not have this nice rubber gasket on it? (but looked like it had the lip to accept it)

View attachment 46826

Fantastic guide. Does the main camera loom fit into the left or right side of the roof? My van is a right hand drive and I have seen conflicting information?

Runs down left side of van.

Passenger side.

Some people say left/right when looking at van from front.

I had mine fitted by @Dav-Tec and the converters had completely blocked access to the roof channels on both sides. Ended up going across the roof from L to R as viewed from the back, behind the cupboards, down the b pillar, under the step on drivers side and then up behind the dash. Had to extend the wires due to the longer run

This is how its works:

View attachment 46848

At the time of ordering the van i was told i could not have the RVS CAM option as it was only for tailgate models . . . . yeh right what-ever i thought,

Home page

which led me to this:

View attachment 46807

A camera at the back of your car shows you what's behind to make reversing safer and easier. Or rear view camera lets you spot any obstacles behind your car - even moving ones - quickly and easily, thanks to the rear view camera.

The camera starts working as soon as you put your car into reverse gear. It shows the area behind your car on your radio or radio navigation system display offering you a clear reversing image with easy-to-follow guidelines. Superimposed graphic lines guide you to the optimal steering lock, guaranteeing fuss-free, smooth parking.

Using the rear view camera means you'll be able to manoeuvre quickly and easily, even into the most difficult parking space. It also alerts you to low-down obstacles which parking sensors cannot always detect. The reversing camera is also a great help when you're hitching up a trailer.

Composition Media
Discover Media
Discover Media Plus

Note:

Please contact your local VW dealer or workshop with diagnostic software ( VCDS or ODIS ).

***********************************************************************************************

The kit arrived after a week or so, which induced a new rear plastic assembly including the rear camera module . . . . . . but it was OEM black plastic! . . . . This was then resprayed with the Reflex Silver paint and Laqure i had left over from doing the Sportline Spoiler job.

it was a case of removing the rear door inner paneling and taking out the lock carrier assembly.

The new camera loom run through the existing door loop into the D-Pillar void and up to the top corner above the roof panel . . . i used the larger rubber bungs that cover the tailgate door-loop holes and a route to drop a draw wire down and fish the cable up.

Next it just follows the roof loom above the ceiling panel up to the bulkhead, above the Cabin ceiling and down behind the A-Pillar.

By now the Paint had dried so the newly painted rear door plastic was swapped over which included the 2x number plate lights.

Two connections were required at the rear which were a body ground and Reverse light signal. . . .

a quick look over here showed me i needed to splice into the rear right light cluster loom: the Brown for ground and Green/Black for Reverse signal.

View attachment 46809

Moving up front i needed to insert a new fuse pin into the SC18 fuse box for the ignition switched +12v and the two video wires into the SatNav quad block.

View attachment 46797

View attachment 46798

i realized that there was NO power-bar on the feed side of the fuse block . . .It was just empty plastic . .!

View attachment 46801

more info here > VW T6 Fusebox - Fusebox/Fuse Chart SC - Lower Dash Fusebox Listings

I had also got some more from the forum shop over here > Four Genuine Volkswagen Crimp Connectors For Stereo Quadlock / Fusebox

so while i had the fuse box out i added some extra fuses to replace the "piggy-back" fuses i had been using.

it was just a case of removing the rear protective fusebox cover and sliding out the pink locking tab. . . . . new fuse inserts added i moved on. (remembering to note the new fuse postitions and what they done)

View attachment 46800

The video feed wired into the back of the RADIO QUADLOCK CONNECTOR on the blue block, pins 6 & 12.

just unclip the locking tab to remove the blue block from the quadlock and then unclip the pin-lock . . . . then push the new pins intoplace and refit.

PDC Module 10 Byte 00

All done . . . .so next was a quick test before putting everything back together . . .

The PDC works as normal when you select it . . . . But when going into reverse the screen changes to show the rear camera with guide line and a smaller PDC graphic over to the left.

View attachment 46802

View attachment 46804

View attachment 46805

View attachment 46806

So all looks good. about half hour later all the panel were back in-place and it was job done.

overall time . . . . Hmm, well about 3/4hours - but thats been on/off over the last 12mnths.

View attachment 46799

View attachment 46803

This is how its works:

View attachment 46848

Home page

which led me to this:

View attachment 46807

Composition Media
Discover Media
Discover Media Plus

Note:

View attachment 46809

View attachment 46797

View attachment 46798

View attachment 46801

View attachment 46800

PDC Module 10 Byte 00

View attachment 46802

View attachment 46804

View attachment 46805

View attachment 46806

View attachment 46799

View attachment 46803
Hi, thanks for all these information!
I have bought the same camera and started to install. But how do you route the camera output cables through the door? New hole?
Pierre

Hi, thanks for all these information!
I have bought the same camera and started to install. But how do you route the camera output cables through the door? New hole?
Pierre
Through the existing wire route.

Follow the OEM cables through the black rubber flexible loop....
From my the rear door void into the rear d-pillar.

I didn't mean from the door to the D-pillar, as you described in your original post... but through the door itself. Did you follow the license plate lights cables?

Yes,....

You have to remove the whole lock mechanism...

To get to the bolts that hold the licensce plate lights whole plastic peice in place.

I then swapped out the original plastic for the one with the camera in... After colour coding.

OK, thanks.
Actually, I didn't have to repaint the plastic piece, since it's not included any more. I had to cut a square hole in the original one.

Back