Barn door brake light quality?

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi

My 2018 barn door van has now cracked both of its high level brake lights. First one (drivers side - door rarely used) changed a few months ago. Passenger side one has also now cracked through the red outer plastic lens!

Anyone else had this? Out of warranty but feel like sending back to VW for ‘quality control checks’ with a ‘disappointed’ letter! Best part of 80 notes for the pair!

Mr Angry of Leicester

3x barn door vans over the years.

MY08 MY11 MY18.

Can't say I've had any problems with any on them regarding the high level light?

You think it's a new thing after MY18?

I was thinking a dodgy batch of plastic or over tightened. When I changed the first one I thought the design/location of the seal was putting stress through the red plastic.

Same on our 2016 van - must get round to replacing them, but it passes the MOT ok.

Pete

The passenger side rear door light cracked on my 2018 camper. I put it down to the 'bed' being too tight against the barn door causing extra shock or stress on the door. I replaced the light and there is now more clearance against the door.

Just had mine knocked off by the council numpties delivering (by throwing from their vehicle I think !! :mad::mad:) the food caddy bags.

Not sure whether it was damaged before or just occurred, but can't find any other bits, so may have been like this when I got the van.

Any suggestion on how to fix it in place? I will probably buy a new set anyway, just need a temporary solution.

Can you get the covers separately?

DSC_4266.JPG

Just had mine knocked off by the council numpties delivering (by throwing from their vehicle I think !! :mad::mad:) the food caddy bags.

Not sure whether it was damaged before or just occurred, but can't find any other bits, so may have been like this when I got the van.

Any suggestion on how to fix it in place? I will probably buy a new set anyway, just need a temporary solution.

View attachment 152302
Bugger.

Need a cover only as I can't replace the whole light without removing my vanshades :(

Ordered an OEM one anyway and will take the cover off that, not convinced about the smoked lenses.

View attachment 152302
@CAB Did you find out whether you can buy a cover only. spotted mine had disappeared yesterday only to find it on the roof when I looked out the bedroom window! I can’t believe it was the wind that knocked it off and blew it up there, so maybe down to a bird picking at it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Couldn't find the OEM cover only as I recall.

Ended up buying a complete replacement for the one side, and working the cover off of that, then superglued it on.

You need to try and get all the red 'hooks' which have broken off out of the remaining light fitting.

Only reason I didn't replace the whole thing was it would have meant removing the van shades.
@CAB Did you find out whether you can buy a cover only. spotted mine had disappeared yesterday only to find it on the roof when I looked out the bedroom window! I can’t believe it was the wind that knocked it off and blew it up there, so maybe down to a bird picking at it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back