Best Barn-Door Bike Rack?

Thats a good point actually. Are there any bags you've come across that'd fit nicely on the rear rack like that? I suppose just going and getting a decent duffle bag might actually do the trick to be honest.

For bedding I'm hoping to keep that up in the pop top, but like you said for other stuff we could look at carrying on the rear rack. I just don't want it to look a mess and of course if it's our clothes, I would need to secure it properly..

So I’ve decided to go for a detachable tow bar on the T6. Figured I’m keeping the van for a long time so it would always come in handy, plus I’d be able to carry more.

So next question- anyone have any recommendations for a tow bar mounted storage box and also a link where best to buy? Seem to be ok finding Thule ones but the prices differ massively.
Thanks

Hello,
I hope it is ok to hop onto this thread.
Am new to the world of the T6 (and therefore the forum) having recently taken possession of a van conversion (2017) with barn doors. I have a Fiamma carry bike 200 D T5/T6 rack but I am struggling to fit it to the door as the rack seems too short by about 2cm.
Is this a known problem? Is there something I need to get? The clips for the top of the door say T5 On them but there is no mention of other parts required for T6.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Can you show us a picture of the whole rack, and some of the top and bottom mounts.

Pete

Thanks - looks like the one we had.

The rack works by being in tension top to bottom on the back door. Too little tension and it pops off, too much and you damage the door.
I recall that fitting it was a challenge. You put it over the top of the left hand door, then have to use some body weight On the rack to get the lower catches over the lip of the bottom of the door.
When I first fitted it, I left all the assembly bolts slightly loose, and the tightening bolts on their loosest setting. Once it was over the door and in the correct position, then I tightened up all the assembly bolts, then the bolts which set the tension.
Just be really careful with the tension - as above, you can damage the door.

Feel free to post some more photos of the position of the lower mounting brackets with the rack hung on the door.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will give your suggestions a try. I didn’t want to put too much weight/force into it in case.
I‘ll be back one way or the other

We have a 3 bike Thule tow bar rack from a previous vehicle so that made our decision for us, detachable tow bar being fitted in a couple of weeks.
The tow bar can take 45kgs and our awning is about 15kgs so still capacity for a couple of bikes if i can get it all lashed on!
Bike rack tilts too so maybe we will be able to open the rear doors while it is on, will see once it's all in place.

The rack works by being in tension top to bottom on the back door. Too little tension and it pops off, too much and you damage the door.
I recall that fitting it was a challenge. You put it over the top of the left hand door, then have to use some body weight On the rack to get the lower catches over the lip of the bottom of the door.
When I first fitted it, I left all the assembly bolts slightly loose, and the tightening bolts on their loosest setting. Once it was over the door and in the correct position, then I tightened up all the assembly bolts, then the bolts which set the tension.

Feel free to post some more photos of the position of the lower mounting brackets with the rack hung on the door.

Pete
Hi again,
I tried fitting with the connectors loosened a bit but no luck (see pic)
The top brackets don’t seem to fit right either. The door has a bit of curve to it across the top but the brackets are pretty straight. Just doesn’t feel right.
Malcolm

3546DB51-D22C-4C78-86FD-008CECEC987E.jpeg

Problem solved - applied a bit more weight to the frame and it fitted successfully.
I was being too timid, worrying about damaging the frame or the door.

I am interested in this thread. We bought a Thule Backup storage box which is towbar mounted.
IMG_20200717_122428.jpg
We have two kids and a dog hence the need for extra storage. Would the Fiamma bike rack work with this setup?

Pete
Hi new to this forum and trying to fit bike rack to barn doors, having same problem with bottom brackets not fixing into place and worried about putting too much pressure in door. Can you tell me what order to fix, top brackets or bottom first? Thank in advance

Hi new to this forum and trying to fit bike rack to barn doors, having same problem with bottom brackets not fixing into place and worried about putting too much pressure in door. Can you tell me what order to fix, top brackets or bottom first? Thank in advance
I found the aluminium frame of the carrier was a lot more flexible than I expected and actually quite easily stretched to fit. The door was much stronger than the frame!

I found the aluminium frame of the carrier was a lot more flexible than I expected and actually quite easily stretched to fit. The door was much stronger than the frame!
Thanks @TheMalcy, we have managed to use a bit of brute force but the top clamp does seem to be a tad wonky but happier with whole fit thanks

Hi,
we have recently bought a T6 with barn doors but need to be able to carry three bikes, I’d rather not have a tow bar though.

are there any options, I have been googling but can’t really figure what the kit is I need

can anyone help?

thanks

I don’t think there is an option for this. There is only the Fiamma 2 bike rack available as far as I know.

Pete

This is mine & is universal so would suit. I’ve got two and cost £100 each on Amazon.

IMT Bike Rack for Car Roof, Vacuum Suction Cup Bicycle Carrier Quick Release Aluminium Alloy Roof Rack, 100mm IMT Bike Rack for Car Roof, Vacuum Suction Cup Bicycle Carrier Quick Release Aluminium Alloy Roof Rack, 100mm: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

I know it looks daunting to just stick it on but I’ve driven with it on and it doesn’t budge an inch, and left the bikes over night and nothing either so I’m satisfied it’ll do the job, and packs away in a small case and can then be used on my other car or anything else for that matter.

FF77B2DA-B141-460A-9AA3-25944FA1B146.jpeg

Hi Guys
looking at getting the fiamma barn door 2 bike rack. Base plates for bikes look very close together. Any experience of carrying two mountain bikes with front shocks? Do they fit ok?
Cheers

Back