Diesels Ban?

Rob 79

T6 Pro
Hey everyone, we just purchased a 2016 T6 which we are eventually going to get converted into a camper. Really excited until I hear about Lib Dems manifesto saying they want to ban all diesel cars by 2025! Pretty certain Lib Dems won't win but who knows what the other parties will do. We are spending a small fortune of this conversion and planning on having it forever. Is anyone else out there worried? and is Euro 6 future proof ?? :(
IMG_1591.JPG

Yep, we've just bought a 2016 T6 Euro5 Highline....the Libdems won't be getting my vote....I'm not too worried, I have a friend who works in JagLandrover...he reckons this anti diesel thing has no legs as electrics are way behind getting any where fast...and that was a gratuitious bit of humour...

We're still waiting for ours, ordered 6 weeks ago. While it's hard to guess what political moves any party will make, there is a diminishing logic in banning diesels with each Euro standard

Previous standard have given diesel much more leeway for emissions (particularly Nox which was previously 3 times that of petrol) However the Euro 6 standard brings the limits much closer, meaning a Euro 6 diesel is unlikely to be much worse than petrol

The elephant in the room with this logic is whether real-world tests show Euro 6 diesel engines to be over the limits, and I think some of that information is coming out around September? Someone else will likely know more about this

These are the figures from the RAC website...

Euro 6 emissions standards (petrol)

CO: 1.0g/km

HC: 0.10g/km

NOx: 0.06g/km

PM: 0.005g/km (direct injection only)

PM: 6.0x10 ^11/km (direct injection only)

Euro 6 emissions standards (diesel)

CO: 0.50g/km

HC + NOx: 0.17g/km

NOx: 0.08g/km

PM: 0.005g/km

PM: 6.0x10 ^11/km

Welcome! With the ongoing demonisation of diesel, whether we get an all out ban or (more) restrictions on where we can use them there is no doubt these vehicles are going to cost us a lot more than we thought when we bought them as a long term investment quite recently. There is talk of scrappage schemes but these will take no account of the investment of time and/or money taken to covert the vehicle to a camper.

Emissions of Nox and particulate matter are real health concerns but the proportion of this coming from vans/cars and the amount of reduction already seen over the last few years it feels like more and more of a cash grab against motorists than a serious attempt to tackle any health issues.

I think the best we can hope for with our intention to keep our campers for an extended period is a decent after market conversion to a supposedly cleaner engine.

Dont see how they can say an outright ban anyway, if they ban them surely it can only be a ban on production of new ones and then as time passes they will naturally fade away (to the scrapyards)

It's all hear say to get green votes. From a personal point of view Liberals shot their load when the voted with the Tories over Tuition Fees. No one trusts them after that and ceranly not the guy who leads them. As for Labor Corbin has no spine and no one trusts him either. I'll give May a chance as she seems to have a some backbone like Maggie. Face it there are too many Trucks and vans running on the stuff to ban it.

Another issue is the lack of investment in refining, diesel can be refined much better than it is. I wouldn't worry too much. It's already been stated in London the Eu6 won't be affected by new charging schemes,

Thanks for all your input guys! You've made me a lot more confident with our purchase!;)

I think that eventually new diesel vehicles will be banned, but this is likely to be pretty much on a size basis to begin with, with commercial vehicles like ours the last to go. Obviously there will still be many diesel vehicles on the road and any future "scrappage" scheme would be limited to a couple of thousand pounds so useless to any of us who value our vehicles more than that. I had also planned to keep my van forever, it's my retirement present to myself (even though I don't retire for 6-7 years :D) but my worry is that they'll get diesel vehicles off the road by death of a thousand cuts - road tax rising £50-100 a year, diesel going up by 5% over inflation at every budget, toll roads/tunnels/bridges much more expensive for diesel, lower speed limits for diesel vehicles, till eventually we all give in. I'm hoping this won't happen for at least 10-15 years but can see the writing on the wall

Then in another 20 yrs they'll tell us that electric cars are bad for the environment and ban them. Then they'll have full blown driverless cars so we can't have any fun driving around anymore. Then we'll go full circle and be taken around by horse and carriage. By then I'll be dead. Think I'll stick to getting my T6 for now.o_O

I'm sure all those mobile magnetic fields will give problems...

Another thought is that the fuel and car companies will suddenly figure out how to make the internal combustion enginges emissions cleaner, rather than go to the wall... In any rate, can't see electric tanks on the horizon, so will just buy and run one:uh run::smile bounce::fast rofl: of those... Will get my tracked licence just in case....

A friend of mine, works/has shares in a company which is producing electric car charging points which bolt to your solar panels... so theyre mad about TESLA, he has a T5, and said he went to an event where all the electric car freaks go, and theres a company, doing conversions and working on producing real good conversions for fossil fuel cars for the future... so i can see in the future we will be converting our vehicles into electric... Humanity has the capability to achieve 99.9% of things, so im pretty sure we will all survive (says me as i plan to purchase a new t6 eu6 engine this month)

I think development of diesel will continue as it seems most diesel vehicle pollution is from big commercial usage, eg buses and lorries, and technology will filter down.
Electric is not the big answer....a study by a major university found that if every street had one electric car, the grid wouldn't cope, so more nuclear plants, gas or coal power stations? Now, hydrogen power........

Problem with hydrogen is the amount of electricity you need to produce it from water. Although if the boffins can get a handle on nuclear fusion (as opposed to fission), then that's the game changer for worldwide energy production.

I think as most delivery vehicles (including the VW T6) are diesel, until there is a viable, popular alternative energy delivery vehicle available, we will all be ok.

Well in the meantime, can someone please do a How To on shoehorning a Amarok V6 engine in to a T6, so we can enjoy the derv power whilst it’s still legal?

Back