Ball Park Price For Grille Painting, Please..?

Steve H

Excited Member
T6 Pro
I've asked the dealer I'm buying my van from to let me have a quote for painting some trim before delivery.

It's the upper & lower front grille's, along with the lower plastic strip below the front number plate and the lower mirror housing and the black plastic cover that attached the mirrors to the doors.

He's not come back to me as yet, and I'd like them gloss black rather than simply black plastic.

What would be a ball park figure for this..? Would anyone know..? Not asking for details, but if there's a huge differential in the quote I can sort it later, maybe.

Thanks.

I know @Tourershine had his done but did all the prep and removal beforehand so saving labour costs. But he may be able to give you a ballpark figure.

I also doubt your main dealer will do it themselves, they will almost certainly give it to a local spray company and take a slice of profit for themselves. Perhaps take it to nearby spray shops for quotes.

I've seen people pay between £400 and £800 depending on where you take it. The higher price might seem expensive, but there's a lot of prep involved and it's not just a case of painting a few bits of trim. Personally I think between £500 and £800 is a fair price. Any lower, and you might not get exactly what you want, and a great deal higher is excessive.

Just to follow up from my reply above.
This is the amount of parts generally you will be painting. There is almost a days worth of stripping down, and things like the mirrors can be difficult and time consuming if you've not done this before. Also remember that doing the grills is a bumper off job, and take a tip from me. If you have a dark coloured van, get the bodyshop to Black your rads whilst it's stripped down. This small job makes a huge difference. Not doing this means the Silver rads are seen through the front, and it ruins the finished look.

20171109_123320.jpg

Blimey..!

There's a lot of bits there..

The dealer has already agreed to paint my tailgate spoiler FOC as part of the deal, and I'm aware he's getting a third party company in to quote for painting, so I'm now hanging on the the edges of my chair with white knuckles..

It sounded a good idea at the time..!

Thanks for the replies, anyway. Let's wait & see.

Blimey..!

There's a lot of bits there..

The dealer has already agreed to paint my tailgate spoiler FOC as part of the deal, and I'm aware he's getting a third party company in to quote for painting, so I'm now hanging on the the edges of my chair with white knuckles..

It sounded a good idea at the time..!

Thanks for the replies, anyway. Let's wait & see.

Painting and fitting a rear spoiler is a much easier job than the Gloss Blacking, so that's possibly why they agreed to do it FOC.
Let me know what they say, and if it's too much, my bodyshop has done several members Gloss Blacking now.

Last edited:
I paid £750 for similar amount of parts as Paul, there very fiddly to prep etc it is actually quite a bit of work, as the bare plastic is textured so needs a lot more prep then smooth plastic like a spoiler that comes in a white or black gel coat

By way of an update to this, I've had a nice conversation with the dealer regarding the job. They asked their contact to come in and quote, which they did but they in turn were apparently reluctant to do the work saying that the surface and material the grilles are made of make getting paint to stay on a bit awkward. The argument that a stone may chip the paint causing it to flake was put forward.

I'd guess that the dealership were reluctant to get the job done as they'd be ultimately responsible as the contract is with them and the customer, but the price quoted was £950 + vat.

I've declined to have it done at this stage as (a) it's yet MORE money, and (b) it may put the collection date back which I don't want, so I may very well take you up on that kind offer this summer @Tourershine..!

By way of an update to this, I've had a nice conversation with the dealer regarding the job. They asked their contact to come in and quote, which they did but they in turn were apparently reluctant to do the work saying that the surface and material the grilles are made of make getting paint to stay on a bit awkward. The argument that a stone may chip the paint causing it to flake was put forward.

I'd guess that the dealership were reluctant to get the job done as they'd be ultimately responsible as the contract is with them and the customer, but the price quoted was £950 + vat.

I've declined to have it done at this stage as (a) it's yet MORE money, and (b) it may put the collection date back which I don't want, so I may very well take you up on that kind offer this summer @Tourershine..!

You are not the first person to report a VW dealership quoting the 'paint won't stay on' nonsense.
I think you may be right, in that they might not want that type of work. It is a fair amount of prep work, but nothing out the realms of a decent bodyshop.
As I quoted a while ago on the same subject, my paint is still on the grills, and not fallen off, or chipped any worse than any other part on the front of my van.

Did you end up getting them sprayed? I've just called to my friends spray place as i want the same job doing. He was concerned as to how long it would last though even with plenty of primer on ?

Did you end up getting them sprayed? I've just called to my friends spray place as i want the same job doing. He was concerned as to how long it would last though even with plenty of primer on ?
I've had mine done for around 7 months now. Professionally done and baked. Still looks as good as new.
Only had the front grills and fogs done not the mirror plastics and it cost £350 Inc Vat.

Back