old_o

Yes, I am all new to these vans, and even more so when it comes to all things coilovers. In my case I see there is much mention of B14s here even when talking about fitting them on heavy 4wd T32s.

Looking up the van I have on order only the B16 shows up as compatible.

Guess my question is: What is the difference between the two? Not really thinking about extreme lowering, just filling out the arches a bit nicer and try to keep some ride comfort.

Please educate this noob.

Yes, I am all new to these vans, and even more so when it comes to all things coilovers. In my case I see there is much mention of B14s here even when talking about fitting them on heavy 4wd T32s.

Looking up the van I have on order only the B16 shows up as compatible.

If you're going Bilstein, there is a specific T32 4Motion B14 fitment. Regularly fitted here in the UK. Although, I've learnt this week, that this product was developed by Bilstein in the UK and is apparently not sold in Germany as the T32 variant is not TUV.

What spec van are you getting that B14's don't fit??

Although, I've learnt this week, that this product was developed by Bilstein in the UK and is apparently not sold in Germany as the T32 variant is not TUV.

What spec van are you getting that B14's don't fit??

I’m getting a 4wd multivan.

Explains why I can’t find a compatible B14 kit on Bilsteins website. In general these vans seem to be a lot more popular in the UK than here in Sweden.

I’m guessing there are other differences between the two models of coilovers?

So a T32 4Motion ??

Coilovers are the best way of getting the balance as good as it can be between lowering and ride comfort/dynamics if that is your objective as per above?? (excluding an Air option)

You could just get the B14's shipped from the UK ??

Or even simpler, get the Eibach Pro Street coilover locally for the T32 4Motion which are TUV approved and offer a wider range of adjustment 20mm - 70mm. The Eibach part number is : PSS65-85-013-02-22

I am currently looking into the Eibach Coilovers because I do not want to change my wheel and tyre set up and the range in the B14 will not allow me to run my 20x9 with an offset ET45 on 275/40 tyres.

Unsurprisingly, as it's Eibach, I am hearing very good things from my research so far. I will post any interesting stuff I find to the community in the thread I started here :

Eibach Pro-street-s Ride Height Adjustable Coilovers

Last edited:
Yup, it’s a T32 4wd I have on order. And you are right again: I’m not looking for an extreme drop/lowering of the van. I want to find a middle road between comfort and looks so coilovers are absolutely the way I want to go.

Have a set of Judd R20x9 with ET40. What is the issue with your setup? Why can’t the wheel setup you have be combined with the B14?

Also, thanks for your tip on the Eibachs

Have a set of Judd R20x9 with ET40. What is the issue with your setup? Why can’t the wheel setup you have be combined with the B14?

My 275/40 tyre on my ET45 rims will catch the wheel arch / liner on B14's as they start at a -40mm drop which, with the inherent extra weight of a LWB T32, 4Motion, DSG will cause the van to sink lower than the max height you can run the B14's at.

Even if the 'sinking' is only a few mm's and you end up at say -43/-44mm ... that is enough to cause the rubbing. I have been told changing tyres to a 265/40 should solve the problem. Basically, I do not want to do that. I love the tyres I have just recently fitted for various reasons and personally, I also prefer the look of the 275.

So, my thinking is, the newer Eibach is also a very high quality unit, which I'm sure technically will give as good a result as a B14. However, the Eibach adjustment range is, True : 20mm - 70mm and the TUV tested and approved 30mm - 60mm.

Although I am by no means technical, logically, the higher Eibach starting point means I can incrementally lower my van until it gets as low as it can go without rubbing. So, I'm thinking, as an example, lower to -36mm (which the B14 can't do) and let the van's weight sink it to -40mm and I will have the same ride height and look as I have now with the benefit of a highly tuned and matched spring and damper.

I am currently sitting on -40mm Cobra springs with no rubbing and this look. So at worst, I want it to stay looking like this. At best, I may get another couple of mm's lower. :thumbsup:

20180827_233238.jpg

Last edited:
Very uesful info and experience you have shared. Really like the look you have! Similar wheight on my van then with the biggest difference being a SWB in my case.

When it comes to changing wheel size and dimensions of tyres it tends to become a hunt for millimeters. I pretty much hade the same ‘battle’ with my current car without even lowering it.

I did however go with the 265 tyre for the van to play it safe. I’ll follow your Eibach post for sure.

Cheers!

My 275/40 tyre on my ET45 rims will catch the wheel arch / liner on B14's as they start at a -40mm drop which, with the inherent extra weight of a LWB T32, 4Motion, DSG will cause the van to sink lower than the max height you can run the B14's at.

Even if the 'sinking' is only a few mm's and you end up at say -43/-44mm ... that is enough to cause the rubbing. I have been told changing tyres to a 265/40 should solve the problem. Basically, I do not want to do that. I love the tyres I have just recently fitted for various reasons and personally, I also prefer the look of the 275.

So, my thinking is, the newer Eibach is also a very high quality unit, which I'm sure technically will give as good a result as a B14. However, the Eibach adjustment range is, True : 20mm - 70mm and the TUV tested and approved 30mm - 60mm.

Although I am by no means technical, logically, the higher Eibach starting point means I can incrementally lower my van until it gets as low as it can go without rubbing. So, I'm thinking, as an example, lower to -36mm (which the B14 can't do) and let the van's weight sink it to -40mm and I will have the same ride height and look as I have now with the benefit of a highly tuned and matched spring and damper.

I am currently sitting on -40mm Cobra springs with no rubbing and this look. So at worst, I want it to stay looking like this. At best, I may get another couple of mm's lower. :thumbsup:

View attachment 34833
@Shredder - don’t LV now fit B14s to vans with your setup? Surely they wouldn’t do that if rubbing an issue?

@dennismo they do but unfortunately, it's not as straightforward as who fits them. Depends on your rim ET, tyre size and the empty weight of your bus and there might even be additional parameters that would effect fit (or not fitting!!) that I'm not technical enough to know.

I'm sure they do, but probably with a 265, or they are getting the arches rolled I suppose?

I know they have heat gunned the liners on one customers to make it work for him. Otherwise, they must be putting 265's on 20"s (if the ET warrants it) for those customers ticking the B14 box with their build order.

The main issue for me, as I said in my post above, is that I specifically do not want to change my rims or tyres ... I particularly like the look I've put together and the tyres I'm running are incredible for what my bus is for. The tyres are quiet, tacky, add impressive damping to the ride and even tighten up the handling a touch IMO. The tyre is not available in a 265 and I also prefer the look of the 275 on mine.

My tyre preference combined with my rim's ET of 45 (big) and the fact my bus is heavy, LWB, 4Motion and DSG is the issue, as Bognor have confirmed the highest B14 setting in reality turns out to be between -40mm and-50mm not -40mm hence why they recommend 265's

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm stumped at to how you are rubbing.
I run 20x9.5 et40 all round and I have 5mm spacers in the rear to et35.
275/35/20 tyres and it still tucks within the arches. Lowered around 55mm all round.
Maybe more negative rear camber will sort your issues with adjustable bolts?

Already got a few little marks at the front that we saw when fitting the H&R ARB's. So in the odd rare situation it has already caught on -40mm springs. The rear is fine. It's the front.

There are no 35 profile tyres in 275 that are correctly load rated for me. I have to run 275/40 and I'm doing that on ET45

I've probably got the heaviest set of options. LWB, T32, 4Motion, DSG

I wish it wasn't an issue but it's already catching as I am, albeit very minor, on -40mm springs. So on B14's sitting somewhere between -40 and -50 at their highest, it's not going to be a good look. This has been confirmed by Bognor who fit on average 3 sets of B14's a week. Rather admirably, they won't sell me the B14's unless I agree to 265's. Hence looking at the new Eibach offering a range of -20mm to -70mm

Back