Adjusting B14 for towing

Just had a chat with olly from bognor motors and he has explained things it’s either remove and fit something else or live with the fact that it will be sitting low when I tow which isn’t all the time .
Don’t let this put anyone off buying them as they are fantastic and do transform the Drive and look of my van.

I wil
Just had a chat with olly from bognor motors and he has explained things it’s either remove and fit something else or live with the fact that it will be sitting low when I tow which isn’t all the time .
Don’t let this put anyone off buying them as they are fantastic and do transform the Drive and look of my van.
l check the weight as I also have the sesame tow bar fitted probably have to look at the way we pack as well and spread the load.
Cheers

When you lower the caravan onto your tow hitch does the back of the van drop down?

When I hook up it barely moves the van at all, and my nose weight is around 100kg

6B6837E5-E4B9-4D17-B15D-583CB727334E.jpeg

Just thinking aloud here, feel free to poke holes in my logic, you’re on 17’s? I’m on 20’s, would an extra 3" of lift make the difference?

I will go and try it this weekend and measure it it always looks low but i probably looks worse because the caravan is so long and sits low at the front.
I also have a lot in the front hatch of the caravan that I really need to sort out and move Or take out like a extra gas bottle as they always have refills on site.
bew springs, remove thinks I don’t need , rearrange to spread the load then I just need campsites to open to try it all out

Definitely sounds like you’re over the 100kg nose weight, block of wood and a set of bathroom scales ;)

Definitely sounds like you’re over the 100kg nose weight, block of wood and a set of bathroom scales ;)
I think I’ll pop down tomorrow and try try it.
Could be a stupid question but what is the maximum it can be

100kg I believe, I’m surprised one of the more experienced caravan towers hasn’t chimed in yet.

100kg I believe, I’m surprised one of the more experienced caravan towers hasn’t chimed in yet.
When I got the caravan they told me they had to check that my van was ok to tow what I was buying.
I just looked and you work it out by the tow bar Max load ,the caravan load , and the car/van load . That’s definitely a job for tomorrow

I assume you have an allko tow hitch on the caravan. If so they are limited to 100kg irrespective of towbar load capacity. Looking at the photo you do look to be nose heavy.
This is ours with a -30mm drop. Back end doesn't move even with 100kg nose weight20190419_111203.jpg

I assume you have an allko tow hitch on the caravan. If so they are limited to 100kg irrespective of towbar load capacity. Looking at the photo you do look to be nose heavy.
This is ours with a -30mm drop. Back end doesn't move even with 100kg nose weightView attachment 72615
That’s exactly what I would have but you can’t get 30 on b14 think is 40 or 50 to 70 .
Are they 20”” wheelers as it all looks like a good set up for towing.

That’s exactly what I would have but you can’t get 30 on b14 think is 40 or 50 to 70 .
Yes it does have allco
I have the
Westfalia
detachable tow bar could I get a taller tow ball to click in so that my caravan sits level. I no it will stop me opaning the back tail gate when it’s in but that wouldn’t be a problem

Yes 20s running 275 40 20. Admittedly that is on my old van. My new caravelle is also running 20s but on 255

I know people have found alternative balls for the westfalia to do that but I think when they looked into it it was a real grey area and might detach in use.
I would be spending a few hours moving around items in the caravan.

One spring fits all is the bug bare of all coil overs , the B14 rear springs seem to be a particular issue and lots of them are breaking . trying to raise the van for a weight issue is not what coil overs were designed for ( not that any of the reasons coil overs were invented are actually used on a Transporter )
A couple of good fixes would be to fit an H&R heavy duty rear lowering spring on its own and remove the rear height adjuster . set the front to match the rear ( with out caravan ) and get the rake correct . Problems over , Or another alternative would be use the rear spring and adjuster we use in our coil over kits because we don't have the issues B 14 does . Cheaper option is the H&R rear spring it will sit nice and work really well . You can continue to use the Bilstein shock . I can supply just rears if you need . I could even loan you a set to try ,

Back