Awnings, too much faff?

We’ve got a Thule omnistor on our van and we love it. I actually like the look of it on the van too, it’s part of what makes it stand out as a camper and not a work van (we don’t camp illegally so no need for “stealth”). As for being a faff to use, couldn’t disagree more, I can put it up or put it away in under a minute.

We’ve got a Thule omnistor on our van and we love it. I actually like the look of it on the van too, it’s part of what makes it stand out as a camper and not a work van (we don’t camp illegally so no need for “stealth”). As for being a faff to use, couldn’t disagree more, I can put it up or put it away in under a minute.
I agree, I have the same one and it's great, but it's more the tent style awnings that I think are being referred to as a faff not the pullout canopies.

Hi ThreeBridgeT6 , could I ask
I have a T6 LWB looks similar to yours ,
What roof do you have , mines a Skyline
What Thule awning do you have - a 4900 ??
Which brackets did you fix it with, and did you use a multi rail
And do you have a rain seal,

You can see from my questions that i am new to the van thing , this year, have everything done now bar the awning ,

Any assistance appreciated ,

Jeff

Hi ThreeBridgeT6 , could I ask
I have a T6 LWB looks similar to yours ,
What roof do you have , mines a Skyline
What Thule awning do you have - a 4900 ??
Which brackets did you fix it with, and did you use a multi rail
And do you have a rain seal,

You can see from my questions that i am new to the van thing , this year, have everything done now bar the awning ,

Any assistance appreciated ,

Jeff
Hi @wildjeff. Just happened across your post - if you put @ in front of a user's name it automatically alerts them to the fact that they're being referred to.

My roof is a Reimo EasyFit with the Open Sky canvas - the one you unzip all the way round and furl up. I love this bit as it offers fabulous views from the pop top bed - great for watching my lad play football at weekends!

The awning is the 4900 - and I've got the tie-down straps for it which were recommended by @Stay Frosty. It also has a multi-rail attached, and I need to get one fitted to the off-side to stop rainwater pouring down my neck when I open the driver's door in the rain! It was fitted by the converters so I'm not sure about the brackets, but I believe they are the dedicated Thule fixing kit. Happy to take some photos if it helps.

23C4B3BC-20B9-43FA-8314-71B9789693CB.jpeg

FF9D33A1-A03B-4BDC-BDEB-5A35DEAE1854.jpeg

Hi again @ThreeBridgeT6
Hope that worked , learning all the time,
Your van looks great, mines a 65 plate , black , my roof is skyline but i didn't go for the panoramic front, i did go for the bifold bed which gives me more headroom over more length.
I have had a Clayton leisure battery fitted , just got it back from having the furniture done , sliding bed was from Clear Cut in Barnstable, really please with it.

Pics would be great with the top up looking down onto one of the brackets please , so i can see; I have found options ( drgs) that involve bolting into the roof as well as clipping into the multirail , but also an option that doesn't involve bolting into the roof ( so makes it easy to remove if you want to, if its safe/strong enough) . Its nice to find somebody who has one fitted and can comment on performance, that's whats good about the Forum , obviously.
Thanks again
Jeff

Hi @wildjeff. Just happened across your post - if you put @ in front of a user's name it automatically alerts them to the fact that they're being referred to.

My roof is a Reimo EasyFit with the Open Sky canvas - the one you unzip all the way round and furl up. I love this bit as it offers fabulous views from the pop top bed - great for watching my lad play football at weekends!

The awning is the 4900 - and I've got the tie-down straps for it which were recommended by @Stay Frosty. It also has a multi-rail attached, and I need to get one fitted to the off-side to stop rainwater pouring down my neck when I open the driver's door in the rain! It was fitted by the converters so I'm not sure about the brackets, but I believe they are the dedicated Thule fixing kit. Happy to take some photos if it helps.

View attachment 94230

View attachment 94231
Stunning looking! Love the artwork too!

totally disagree. The F45 is a cracking bit of kit but it is each to their own.
If you pop to the beach then yes, totally pointless. If your a camper wanabee with a kombi and a vango, again each to their own but I use mine consistently for shade from the sun and rain. If its windy I pull it in, takes less then 1 minute even if its strapped down as you can unhook pretty quick.
Each to their own but I wild camp all the time, BBQ point on the drivers side, entrance on the passenger side. I can be packed up in minutes too. A mate spent about half hour trying to put his fabric one up. Waste of time.
20200730_193748_resized.jpg

Hi again @ThreeBridgeT6
Hope that worked , learning all the time,
Your van looks great, mines a 65 plate , black , my roof is skyline but i didn't go for the panoramic front, i did go for the bifold bed which gives me more headroom over more length.
I have had a Clayton leisure battery fitted , just got it back from having the furniture done , sliding bed was from Clear Cut in Barnstable, really please with it.

Pics would be great with the top up looking down onto one of the brackets please , so i can see; I have found options ( drgs) that involve bolting into the roof as well as clipping into the multirail , but also an option that doesn't involve bolting into the roof ( so makes it easy to remove if you want to, if its safe/strong enough) . Its nice to find somebody who has one fitted and can comment on performance, that's whats good about the Forum , obviously.
Thanks again
Jeff
Hi again @wildjeff Sorry for the delay - busy week. Photos attached as requested. Hope these help.

tempImageIm93ok.pngtempImageXSMTsG.pngtempImagen1ReZw.pngtempImage4sKABF.pngtempImageHB1207.pngtempImageLuErZ5.pngtempImageoGM6qv.png

Hi@ThreeBridgeT6,
pics perfect , tho have had to revolve my head around on my neck to sort out tops and bottoms on some :)))
But I can clearly see you have a multirail and that the bracket is both in the rail and under the pop top where I imaging its bolted into the T6 roof.
I have been doing my research this week and have found various fittings , some of which dont require the multirail , and one which only fixes to the multirail (Bandrup). There seem to more diagrams/fittings for the F45s.
I think I have concluded 4900 , multirail , and a bracket like yours just need to find the right supplier , likely I will fit myself .
Thanks for your help has given me confidence to proceed ,
Jeff

We have both a drive away awning which we use if we’re stopping somewhere for a few nights but also this thing which we use if we’re just away for a day or night.... best of both worlds AFE18CFC-69B4-498D-8F97-9405C18C030E.jpeg

totally disagree. The F45 is a cracking bit of kit but it is each to their own.
If you pop to the beach then yes, totally pointless. If your a camper wanabee with a kombi and a vango, again each to their own but I use mine consistently for shade from the sun and rain. If its windy I pull it in, takes less then 1 minute even if its strapped down as you can unhook pretty quick.
Each to their own but I wild camp all the time, BBQ point on the drivers side, entrance on the passenger side. I can be packed up in minutes too. A mate spent about half hour trying to put his fabric one up. Waste of time.
View attachment 94569
I think the origin of the tread was that seperate awnings are too much faff, not pull out Fiamma/Thule canopies which I agree are invaluable.

Just had a brainwave.. well maybe not.. a pull out which slides onto the the awning multi rail... I'd have an f45 but I don't think it's allowable lol

I think the origin of the tread was that seperate awnings are too much faff, not pull out Fiamma/Thule canopies which I agree are invaluable.
Hmmm. Maybe I read it but did not understand it. It was the F45 and its canvas with a bonnet poking out. o_O :rofl:

I probably shouldn't have made reference to the F45 apart from the Plumbers van comment as they are pretty rapidly deployed however regarding land locking a T6 to the point where it can barely be seen let alone be moved under a sea of rip stop nylon still stands... let's face it it's cruel to the van.:inlove:

We’re getting an Thule awning for the van itself. Think it will be good for all the reasons mention above - shade, rain cover. Then taking an inflatable tent which we can pitch alongside the awning. If we’re on a campsite for a few days it’s good to have somewhere to leave stuff. And an extra sleeping pod if the older kids come along.

Reactions: JOG
Back