Awnings, too much faff?

I suspect the demand will rapidly melt away when normal foreign travel returns (and it will...) and all the people who resorted to camping/vanning for the first time will swear "never again" and a glut of vans, awnings and tents floods ebay.

Reactions: JOG
A tad cynical Andy?:sneaky:

I think I'll stick with being conflicted about the problem of eating outside of the van under the blazing sun or sweltering inside.

Any talk of wind/ rain protection implies that I would be mad enough to be camping outside of the moveable two week feast of sunshine that constitute British summertime.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Must admit I rarely use my travel-pod air awning - I agree its "too much faff" for me as a loner. :)
The Fiamma on the other hand I woudnt be without, its so handy, especially with the additional screen, takes seconds to put up or down.

I have a wind out awning and I wouldn't be without it.
Takes seconds to wind out and provides shade and rain protection. But I always peg it down as then if the wind comes up it wont fly away or damage the van especially in the middle of the night.
I also have a side wall that slides into the c channel on the edge of awning giving us privacy and a bit more protection. This suits me but we all have different ideas.20200929_142411.jpg

I have a wind out awning and I wouldn't be without it.
Takes seconds to wind out and provides shade and rain protection. But I always peg it down as then if the wind comes up it wont fly away or damage the van especially in the middle of the night.
I also have a side wall that slides into the c channel on the edge of awning giving us privacy and a bit more protection. This suits me but we all have different ideas.View attachment 86767
I reckon you probably need a bit of protection from the sun in Australia.
IMO the tendency in the UK is to have as much ‘stuff’ on a campsite as there is in the back garden at home.

@AussieMick Now imagine living about 30 light years further away from the sun like us poor bludgers up here and you would soon get fed up of rolling back up sodden awnings and leaving the various shelters back up at home in the garden for days while you wait for them to dry out.;)

fair enough , you know it does rain in Australia too but I get your point as it harder for me when we have been in wet weather to dry things out than sunny .

Drying a wet bit of kit is always a faff, particularly if it's a whacking great awning. I have a tiny garage with a lot of stuff, I can hang up a small tent or a larger tarp to dry but I'd really struggle with a big tent/awning

Do the awning users here pitch it again at home if you need to pack it away wet?

Drying a wet bit of kit is always a faff, particularly if it's a whacking great awning. I have a tiny garage with a lot of stuff, I can hang up a small tent or a larger tarp to dry but I'd really struggle with a big tent/awning

Do the awning users here pitch it again at home if you need to pack it away wet?
Our small Vango Palm, standing with air beams inflated can just about squeeze into a room with all furniture pushed back to the wall! It never gets packed away if wet or even damp......the Debus polycotton awning and canvas toilet tent are much easier to deal with.....hang them over the stair bannisters! I think that we have only ever managed to dry outside at home once! Certainly no room in the garage!
I can only wonder how those with the large awnings manage....

When I see vans set up with a multitude of awnings, tents and appliances, I do wonder what the owners have against the comfort of a caravan. Especially as they often are pitched for several nights in one spot.

Our small Vango Palm, standing with air beams inflated can just about squeeze into a room with all furniture pushed back to the wall! It never gets packed away if wet or even damp......the Debus polycotton awning and canvas toilet tent are much easier to deal with.....hang them over the stair bannisters! I think that we have only ever managed to dry outside at home once! Certainly no room in the garage!
I can only wonder how those with the large awnings manage....
Small vango palm awning drying out indoors no problem
Resized_20191231_194316_60430626999968.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well spotted
The van connection kador is fixed to the stair bannisters so just walk through the tunnel part to the kitchen
We don't attach the kador to anything, but might have to open Palm doors (tunnel to van & front) to see tv!
This topic could start a whole new thread! How to live with your awning INSIDE your home.

We don't attach the kador to anything, but might have to open Palm doors (tunnel to van & front) to see tv!
This topic could start a whole new thread! How to live with your awning INSIDE your home.
the palm does make it easy having no built in ground sheet the thread could be CAN you fill a whole room with your awning

Back