Awning or tent?

Murphys mum

I am new to this forum so not sure if I am doing this post correctly.. I have ordered the new T6.1 and the convertor is offering me a free Fatima awning OR a Vango Tent in the deal .. not sure which to go for (Never had a camper before) and wondering how useful the awnings are? Would be very grateful of any feedback please

Could that be Fiamma? I would go for that, but it sounds a strange mismatched offer - a Fiamma fitted is maybe £800, tents are ten a penny...

I would go for that rather than a tent, they're so handy cos its there all the time. You do have to be careful though, the bloke in the video had me cringing when the legs almost slipped, that would have been a nasty scratch. Doesnt happen on grass, or rough ground, only in showrooms! You need to peg the legs in any wind, obvious really.
Sometimes if its raining I wind it out just a foot or so, no legs, just to keep the rain out of the sliding door.

Thank you so much Phil - the video was really helpful. It was so lovely to get such a helpful response to my first post on the forum .. thank you. Hillside Leisure in Derby are converting my base van so waiting with excitement and anticipation for them to open up after lockdown. Thanks again and stay safe, Ruth

Fiamma for me, you can add a drive away awning at a later date which is cheaper
Then have best of both worlds

Reactions: CAB
Just my two cents, i decided against a cassette awning as,

1. i didn't like the look
2. didn't want additional brackets on the body

my choice is to go for the Outwell touring shelter as my 'quick erection' option and possibly a Vango Galli 3 (the second image) if the wife wants something more substantial...

1590505500762.png1590505607971.png

Last edited:
If you have a Fiamma fitted you can use the front part to fit your drive away awning to, so no other rail needed
Also it’s easier to reconnect the drive away if you go out for the day, as you can take the slack out of the connection tunnel by winding the Fiamma out a little connect awning and tension it tight my winding the Fiamma back in

Really appreciate all your comments and chuffed that everyone is so helpful - thank you ... anyone got any recommendations for a comfortable matteress topper?

Reactions: DJR
I recently got the 5cm freshtec duvalay sleeping bag. It’s really good - they do have discounts of around 20% if you look out for them. ;)

Back