Awning Dilemma

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

I've done a fair bit of research into drive away Awnings - including going to the CCM show at the NEC to view. Vango Galli stood out - was also considering Outdoor Revolution T4 or T5, Travelpod Touring Air.

Setup is SWB Camper (sadly LWB too long for drive), family of 2 Adults, 2 Children plus 1 Dog. We do 1 week and 2 week breaks - hence Galli purchased as it offers good size - i.e. if it's raining we can all sit in the tent in relative comfort.

Good deal was negotiated with Glossop Caravans at NEC - they cancelled on me last week as took too many orders!!! Anyway, sourced from elsewhere.

It arrived yesterday - I'd noted the packed size dimensions in my research but even so it's huge! Much bigger packed than I expected... I shall not repeat the Mrs words, along the lines of "I told you so"... With everything else (suitcases, chairs, cookers, sleeping bags etc) really concerned we wont have enough space...

So ideal is: Still good sized awning for family, ideally runs parallel to Camper (i.e. front entrance), fixed groundsheet, key of course is the smaller the size packed the better. I'm not asking much am I!! Of course I'll need to compromise - I just wondered if people could offer their opinions on what they've got and might suit my needs...

Now looking at standard tents that have more compact packed size. Concern is lose flexibility a drive away offer, plus pitch sizes seem to be getting smaller - a standard tent means you need to allow for tent width, guide ropes and then van parked next to tent, so you end up with a fair bit wider setup...

Thanks all

Unless you compromise on the quality/weight of materials you won’t get the equivalent amount of space in a much smaller package - the addition of the attachment tunnel is negligible in terms of pack size so going for an equivalent size tent won’t save you much.

So ideal is: Still good sized awning for family, ideally runs parallel to Camper (i.e. front entrance), fixed groundsheet, key of course is the smaller the size packed the better. I'm not asking much am I!! Of course I'll need to compromise - I just wondered if people could offer their opinions on what they've got and might suit my needs...

I too am looking at an awning.
I too like the look of the Galli, but for us it would be a compact.

When we had tents, we had a Khyam Harewood which was one of their quick erect tents and it was great.
So, I'm considering getting a Khyam awning. To me, they're not as pretty as the Galli, but I think they will be more practical.

But, I don't know whether they pack down much smaller.

Unless you compromise on the quality/weight of materials you won’t get the equivalent amount of space in a much smaller package - the addition of the attachment tunnel is negligible in terms of pack size so going for an equivalent size tent won’t save you much.

You are right. We have an Outwell tent - size wise its massive and weighs a tonne as it has steel poles. We also have a Gelert tent which we bought for the odd night here and there - probably about half to 2/3's the size - which tent do I prefer - simply no contest - the Outwell as its simply better in every way. I can't have it both ways, but was hoping just maybe there was something that fitter the equation!?

You are right. We have an Outwell tent - size wise its massive and weighs a tonne as it has steel poles. We also have a Gelert tent which we bought for the odd night here and there - probably about half to 2/3's the size - which tent do I prefer - simply no contest - the Outwell as its simply better in every way. I can't have it both ways, but was hoping just maybe there was something that fitter the equation!?
I know what you mean - we have a canvas Karsten inflatable tent (original and still the best inflatables) and there is no contest with anything we have slept out in before - no more waking up all clammy and damp from your own sweat :). Top quality but compromise is size and weight - main tent weighs 37kg with a pack size much bigger than the Vango airbeams we have but, even worse, if we pack all of the additional awnings, etc., we have for it you more than double the size of the pack and weight.

One option might be to keep the Vango and look at something like a Sheltapod and then vary which you take depending on where you are going, how long for, etc..

I too am looking at an awning.
I too like the look of the Galli, but for us it would be a compact.

When we had tents, we had a Khyam Harewood which was one of their quick erect tents and it was great.
So, I'm considering getting a Khyam awning. To me, they're not as pretty as the Galli, but I think they will be more practical.

But, I don't know whether they pack down much smaller.

I looked at Khyam - but going back to my dilemma was put off by the packed size dimension - they're so much bigger than all the others - it's really odd - e.g. Motordome Sleeper "packed size of 108x40x35cm" - that's a foot longer than my Vango Galli @ 78cm's - surely can't be right - but it put me off!! I'd also seen a few post re questionable quality...

I looked at Khyam - but going back to my dilemma was put off by the packed size dimension - they're so much bigger than all the others - it's really odd - e.g. Motordome Sleeper "packed size of 108x40x35cm" - that's a foot longer than my Vango Galli @ 78cm's - surely can't be right - but it put me off!! I'd also seen a few post re questionable quality...
The length of the Kyham packs is dictated by the rigid poles, pre-inserted into tent sleeves, and how far they break/fold down.

We have always been dealers for Khyam due to the ease of putting up their "quick erect" awnings which are brilliant. We recently started to sell the outdoor revolution awnings as well as when I examined them at the N.E.C last year I was really impressed with the designs and quality. I still find the Khyam quick erect awnings easier to set up and take down and they do work out a bit cheaper than the inflatable outdoor revs but I would choose to pack one of our demo outdoor rev's when off camping with the family now.

Back