Awning But I Don't Want No Steenking Rail On Van...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
As thread title really, I'm thinking of getting a used Vango Kela 3 Airbeam so that we don't have to just sit in the van when we finally go camping... May... Windermere, thankyou.

However the van has a pop top so not a lot of metalwork left to fix an awning multirail to and if I'm entirely honest I don't really want to start sticking more stuff up there anyway so do the Vango straps wrap around a pop top or would they damage the canvas roof sides and the flapping canvas scratch the vans paintwork etc...?

What the heck am I thinking, it's probably safer to pick a campsite with plenty of bus shelters.:cautious:

My Galli II has straps, but I’ve got a rail so not sure if the straps would scratch anything.

Look at the Coleman event shelters, you can set them up easily and get some sides for privacy if needed.

What poptop have you got? I’ve got a Hilo and have the Stitches & Steel c-rail fitted to the nearside.
It’s hidden when the roof is down.

I've got one of those upturned bath tub roofs where you have to check petrol station forecourt canopy heights first.

I guess I should try and find out a bit more clearly how the Vango attaches normally but not a big fan of those huge alloy tubes you see on some campers.

The straps are designed to lay flat and go over the roof - if you were to wrap them around the canvas to get to the other side of the van, even if you secure them firmly on the other side, you would not be able to avoid them touching the canvas and would quickly damage it, ie. flapping of awning in wind and movement in the canvas would create a sawing motion.

Don’t discount the “huge alloy tubes” (aka Fiamma/Dometic/Thule/etc. wind out awnings) - they are very versatile for quickly creating outside space and something we use every camping trip (unlike the Vango Kela 3 awning we no longer own). They also provide the best means of attaching a driveaway awning you will find.

Suggestion of a Coleman Event Shelter (or similar) above might be a better option for you - the only minor issue is that, with it not being connected to the van, some sites will want to charge for it as a separate unit.

@Davenjo and am I over thinking this awning thing as I haven't actually ventured onto a camp site yet?

As per the thread title I don't want to make the van any less sleek than the lumpy pop top already has and the idea of a driveaway porch seemed attractive until you think of how easy detaching the van from a standalone awning would be when you want to drive into town for a meal at night for instance.

To that end and stewing on your wisdom I'm now thinking more along the lines of a compromise C rail attached canopy awning as the C rail is fairly low profile and might even attach beneath the raised bath tub if there's enough meat left there as per Ads reply.

Spotted this online and looks to fit the bill although I appreciate if it's windy any driveaway aspect would be where I drive away and leave a pile of torn ripstop nylon and bent poles eg. post Glastonbury festival.

2019 SunnCamp Swift Van Sun Canopy 260 Awning VW Merc MAZDA Bongo Camper SF8016 for sale online | eBay

I'm not familiar with the SunCamp canopy you mention but, for the price, it looks OK. Quite a few people on here are opting for these canopy type awnings, ranging from simple DIY tarp setups to products like the Suncamp - have a look at this Show Us Your Awning Setup. for some more ideas.

In your situation, i.e. not camped in the van yet, before spending too much more money, I would be tempted to do nothing and just go with what you have and then look at canopies, awnings, etc., and how to attach, if you find you really need some covered outside space. For a similar price to the canopy you are looking at, you could always go for something like a Coleman Event Shelter to give you a bit of covered, freestanding, outside space, eg, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Fe...29&hvtargid=pla-326723402309&psc=1&th=1&psc=1 - even if you ultimately decide to go for something attached to the van you would be able to use this at home and/or as communal space when camping, alternatively you would be able to sell it on for not much less than paid.

Update: Just reviewing the thread I linked above and @True Romance has posted pictures of the canopy you are looking at - page 14

Last edited:
I have an awning rail and I would say it is hardly noticeable... Or fit the stitches & steel one that drops in the gulley in your roof!
Screenshot_20190427-082357.jpg

Cheers gents, I'm warming to the idea of a simpler side awning to allow for spilling out of the van when on site rather than staying cooped up inside but keeping in mind the van will no doubt be on and off site often so can't be a gaff to install.

Thanks for the info Davenjo and what rail is that Simmo if you don't mind?

@Davenjo and am I over thinking this awning thing as I haven't actually ventured onto a camp site yet?

As per the thread title I don't want to make the van any less sleek than the lumpy pop top already has and the idea of a driveaway porch seemed attractive until you think of how easy detaching the van from a standalone awning would be when you want to drive into town for a meal at night for instance.

To that end and stewing on your wisdom I'm now thinking more along the lines of a compromise C rail attached canopy awning as the C rail is fairly low profile and might even attach beneath the raised bath tub if there's enough meat left there as per Ads reply.

Spotted this online and looks to fit the bill although I appreciate if it's windy any driveaway aspect would be where I drive away and leave a pile of torn ripstop nylon and bent poles eg. post Glastonbury festival.

2019 SunnCamp Swift Van Sun Canopy 260 Awning VW Merc MAZDA Bongo Camper SF8016 for sale online | eBay

Used this last weekend, worked a treat. You do need a rail though. As above awning rails are very discreet.

20190422_092928.jpg

This is a £90quid job, works for us. You need an awning rail though. The Reimo one is discreet & also acts as a rain gutter to stop water running in the side door.DAE20A50-466C-4DE6-9098-A93770AFD7F8.jpeg

What poptop have you got? I’ve got a Hilo and have the Stitches & Steel c-rail fitted to the nearside.
It’s hidden when the roof is down.
I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. I’m just about to have a hilo sport roof fitted and the fitter says I must lose my current CRail that sits in the roof gully and install one that sits on the side of the van. Sounds like you’ve managed to avoid this?

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you. I’m just about to have a hilo sport roof fitted and the fitter says I must lose my current CRail that sits in the roof gully and install one that sits on the side of the van. Sounds like you’ve managed to avoid this?
Hello there,
As the roof sits in these gullies, it effectively sits over the C-rail, ergo it’s hidden and unusable when the roof is down, but accessible when the roof is up.

I’ll get you a better picture if they dig their heels in, but in the meantime I can (only) show you this:

757FB6A4-15E1-4352-B2D2-954E0D351A13.jpeg

It’s just visible, starting at the right of the hinge.

Interesting. Thanks for the advise. I will chat further with my fitter. If you do have any more pics they would be greatly received.

Hello there,
As the roof sits in these gullies, it effectively sits over the C-rail, ergo it’s hidden and unusable when the roof is down, but accessible when the roof is up.

I’ll get you a better picture if they dig their heels in, but in the meantime I can (only) show you this:

View attachment 42424

It’s just visible, starting at the right of the hinge.
Sorry should have asked this earlier but can you close the roof with awning attached to the rail?

This is a £90quid job, works for us. You need an awning rail though. The Reimo one is discreet & also acts as a rain gutter to stop water running in the side door.View attachment 42120
Hi @Salty Spuds .... above the photo you mention £90 squid .... sorry "thicko" here .... what do you get for £90? I am after a gutter rail to stop rain coming in the whizz bang etc .... any advice/ comments etc would be appreciated. Thanks Paul

Back