Avon Vs nexen tyres

Minimucks

T6 Guru
Does anybody have experience of both or either of these tyres? I'm need in a set of 4 and don't really want to spend more than £500 all in as I mainly do city driving.

I'm looking at 255/45/19 104 rated to use on my canteras and narrowed it down to these two on fuel and wet grip ratings

Or

My current continentals are awful in the wet. It would be nice to exit a roundabout in the direction I'd like to:p

Any advice on wear/grip side wall protection etc would be great. Or any better offerings of course.

Cheers

Try uniroyal rain sport 3 or 5.

About £135 a corner so touch over budget but great wet weather tyre.

I fitted a set of Nexens on my skoda superb (140bhp tdi) to replace the OEM Bridgestones. The only difference I noticed was pressing on in the wet the Nexens would break traction earlier when exiting a roundabout and the traction control light would flash.

I wouldn’t describe myself as a fast driver but could tell the difference.

These would be my ideal tyre tbh and have thought about them. Do they wear well?

I got about 25k out the fronts and still have plenty on the rears.
Could’ve stretched the fronts for another 2k but put the winters on so just scrapped them.

Will get a new set of fronts in spring and put the old rears back on.

I got about 25k out the fronts and still have plenty on the rears.
Could’ve stretched the fronts for another 2k but put the winters on so just scrapped them.

Will get a new set of fronts in spring and put the old rears back on.
25k that's very decent. Looks like it's now a choice of 3 again then.:)

Not that I'm thinking of buying them but just come across these on the Camskill website.

Dirt cheap but don't think I'd be brave enough to try them out.

I have the nexens and they seem good but I have nothing to compare them against. I’m running them year round and have no complaints

Have used Avon tyres previously. Wet grip was poor and lasted less than 10k. Moved on to the Nexens which were equally poor. Both sets in 18 inch to be fair but don’t imagine there would be much difference. False economy, both rubbish. Have also run Hankooks which, for a little more, were miles better.

Last edited:
Had a bad experience with nexens , set of four which startted splitting between the treads . They were supposed to have a lifetime warranty , but as they were partly worn they only agreed to replace two of the four - which also split .... and had to pay for the fitting too.
They also argued that I was using incorrectly rated tyres for a van ( 103 on a T28 ) .

Had a bad experience with nexens , set of four which startted splitting between the treads . They were supposed to have a lifetime warranty , but as they were partly worn they only agreed to replace two of the four - which also split .... and had to pay for the fitting too.
They also argued that I was using incorrectly rated tyres for a van ( 103 on a T28 ) .
What are you running instead? Or are you still using the replacements?

Well, i know it doesn't directly answer your question. I was in a similar predicament (not sure of spelling), had some real ditch finders on the front - Jinyu Gallopro - Honestly they were awful!
I've just had some Bridgestone All Weather A005's fitted and to be honest they are 100 times better. I can't advise on wear, not 500 miles old yet. I also find that new tyres always drive amazing. After 3 or 4 thousand miles the truth comes out.
I'll report back in time on these.

Good luck with your seach

I had Nexens and they were fine but these were on big alloys and it was way over tyred compared to what it should have had standard.
Personally I think they are the better end of the budget tyres, but you get what you pay for.

What are you running instead? Or are you still using the replacements?
The nexens were on 18" sportlines on my T5.1 , ran barums after and found them really good but difficult to get.
Presently running Minerva frostrack on 19" .

Nexens on mine all round but only used during the spring/summer and not had no issues apart from rears wearing on one side but that was down to the tracking.

I did wonder if the cold / salt was affecting them.
They were fine otherwise

Just pulled the trigger on Uniroyal rainsport 5's.
After shopping around even got them bang on budget.

National tyres were the cheapest Inc fitting at £144 each + 10% online discount code and then there was an added bonus of 3.75% topcashback.

Happy days. Thanks all for your input.

Just pulled the trigger on Uniroyal rainsport 5's.
After shopping around even got them bang on budget.

National tyres were the cheapest Inc fitting at £144 each + 10% online discount code and then there was an added bonus of 3.75% topcashback.

Happy days. Thanks all for your input.
Result
Let us know what you think of them after a few months
I love em

Back