Auto-on lights - adjust sensitivity?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of the Auto lights?
Mine seem to come on literally when the clouds are in the sky! I actually prefer the look of the LED driving lights on the headlights, but I have to switch the lights off during the day most of the time because the headlights are going on.

I noticed this myself. The lights definitely seem to err on the side of caution :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity of the Auto lights?
Mine seem to come on literally when the clouds are in the sky! I actually prefer the look of the LED driving lights on the headlights, but I have to switch the lights off during the day most of the time because the headlights are going on.
Just popped out to the van to check through the MFD to be sure. It doesn’t look as though it can be done from the vehicle. Not sure if it is an option in VCDS that can be tweaked.
I also double checked through the media screen (that’s where I used to be able to change the light up time on an A6, and where I alter the same on my VRS - but afraid it isn’t an option in those menus either).

The daft thing is if you look at other vehicles that you'd imagine have auto lights, and no one else's lights are on when mine are. A little annoying, and just leads to me turning the auto feature off. (still love the lights though)

Can't say I have noticed this too much on mine, they have come on a couple times here and there when passing through shaded tree areas
I'm not sure they would be adjustable even with VCDS as I'm sure the sensor is connected via single wire linbus connection and not to the canbus circuit

Mine seem to work the same as other cars and come on when they need to.

One problem is when I use the works van and keep forgetting to turn on the lights, especially as most modern vehicles have drl up front.

As above, they come on when needed. Also noticed that sudden contrast change, like entering shaded tree areas in the morning or evening, sometimes turns them on. I'm not sure if they are triggered also by rain sensor - seems like that but not by the first drops anyway.

They also come on at highish motorway speeds and then stay on until you drop below abou 35mph.

I know it has been covered somewhere but can’t find it. I would like to adjust the headlights to turn on automatically when it’s getting dark rather than when it’s cloudy.
TIA.

I seem to recall the sensor is connected via the linbus (not can) so not sure if it’s tweakable

Yup.
EF2CAE3F-6E37-43D6-B1E8-35DC599C1FC0.jpeg
So does it send light/dark to the BCU or send a light level.. need to search for an adaptation channel. Or look for a measuring block and see if it’s binary or a value..

Last edited:
The switch on illumination on mine seems to depend on a comparison of light level change not at a specific light level.

i.e. when driving in bright sunlight the headlights seem to come on readily when entering a tree lined road. However if the ambient daylight is low level the headlights seem not to come on quite so soon. This may be no more than an illusion as I have never tried to look at any relevant measuring blocks to see what is going on.

I do notice that the satnav screen switches between day & night mode at different light levels to the headlights switch on/off. Is that controlled by the same sensor which I believe is in front of the mirror in the top of the windscreen?

I've just picked up a 19 Caravelle, so all pretty new to this van stuff.

One thing I've noticed is how keen the auto lights are to turn on. Passing under a tree will trigger them. Our old Mk7 Golf had a settings option for Early, Medium or Late. Obviously the van doesn't have this, but has anyone found how to adjust the sensitivity using VCDS?

I've not got LEDs ...yet, so even tho' I've got H7s, I'm not keen on showing my halogens off all that often.

I've just picked up a 19 Caravelle, so all pretty new to this van stuff.

One thing I've noticed is how keen the auto lights are to turn on. Passing under a tree will trigger them. Our old Mk7 Golf had a settings option for Early, Medium or Late. Obviously the van doesn't have this, but has anyone found how to adjust the sensitivity using VCDS?

I've not got LEDs ...yet, so even tho' I've got H7s, I'm not keen on showing my halogens off all that often.
Change to LED's and your be proud they come on..:thumbsup:

Back