Auto latch boot failure

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
Auto latching has failed several times on our sliding door but it always "comes back" but it's now gone on our boot; in the middle of Spain... now that isn't a huge issue but the sensor "thinks" the boot isn't shut and so an alarm plus graphic on the MFD is constantly blaring at us. But it does auto un-latch as we open it.
Nearest VW dealer is miles away.

Any ideas?! Not handy!!

Love to see how this pans out, good to put the euro assistance cover to the test. Lets just hope they don't send Pedro Pony from the local blacksmiths as a sub contractor.

Love to see how this pans out, good to put the euro assistance cover to the test. Lets just hope they don't send Pedro Pony from the local blacksmiths as a sub contractor.

They seem to be pretty switched on; there's a VW control centre that seems to call the local breakdown people; they've already called back to check we are okay. If we need towing (truck should arrive soon; if it can get here), we get a courtesy car and €60 each a night for a hotel.

It can be viewed as a big issue or just a bit of a change of plans; we aren't too fussed. We just hope they sort it ASAP. Good surf forecast for the weekend!

I often say these gimmicks are just more to go wrong; this sort of thing makes me more certain that's always the case.

They seem to be pretty switched on; there's a VW control centre that seems to call the local breakdown people; they've already called back to check we are okay. If we need towing (truck should arrive soon; if it can get here), we get a courtesy car and €60 each a night for a hotel.

It can be viewed as a big issue or just a bit of a change of plans; we aren't too fussed. We just hope they sort it ASAP. Good surf forecast for the weekend!

I often say these gimmicks are just more to go wrong; this sort of thing makes me more certain that's always the case.
Loving the pragmatic attitude - enjoy!!

What's the update?
They (the local Spanish breakdown people) faffed too much, couldn't get to us so arranged to meet them at the nearby village tomorrow at 10am.
It's SO lovely where we are that we didn't want to lose our spot! See the thread in the camping section for a photo.

Will see how it pans out but VW assist has so far impressed me.

Now sat in a lovely restaurant (we tend to eat out when free camping) in a stunningittoe village nearby to our camping spot.

Last edited:
Okay so it went a bit pear shaped; it "fixed" itself when we met the tow truck but we were advised to visit the nearest dealer where we'd get looked at immediately. Drove 35 miles the wrong way (East) only to find they couldn't see us that day. Or week. Pretty annoyed.
So we decided to just live with it. Got a call telling us we could see an auto electrician guy near our new spot where we'd decamped.
Left the wife and kids there and drove 40 mins to the middle of Gijon and arrived at a huge truck place; the guy didn't speak any English but I'd taken a video of the dash display and alarm. He got the message, had a good fiddle around, I had to pay €21.50 (slightly annoying as it's a warranty issue), it seemed to be fixed...

Bought some supplies, the dash alarm went off again. But only for a few seconds then it was gone.

Just going to leave it now and hope for the best and get VW to look at it when we return.

So in France you might get a proper VW van with kit but here in Spain you get taken to a dealer who can't fit you in....

Surf and weather are great so just going to carry on.

Just to share my case.

On mine the electric latching motor of right sliding door latch started to make “knocking/rattling” sound when opening. Fortunate thing it happened when the van was at service stand, so technician could verify it, and actually carried a good amount of door adjustments to eliminate the sound – without success. So a new latching motor was ordered and when a couple of weeks later went for installation of a new one – the knocking sound didn’t show up and everything seemed to be fine. Anyways, the latch was replaced with a new one which actually is very quiet compared with the original one.

After a few weeks pretty much the same with left door. Knocking/rattling, and eventually the latch didn’t open the door but on the MFD indication of door being open while door still being tightly closed. Also this latching motor was later replaced.

The tailgate latching – still working just fine. The van is now 18 months.

But, after the change of latching motors I have noticed a few times when latching motors won’t open the door but on the MFD is an indication of door being open. Of course, then door will open by just pulling the handle harder (as without electric latching). But then the latch itself remains in closed position and MFD shows door to be open. To close the door it needs a real good slam.

So knock/rattle is gone but every now and then the latch won’t operate when opening door – and then latch, of course, won’t close the door (because the latch is still/already in closed position).

Learned from the technician following. A microswitch inside door (on some vans sensor switch is on in C-pillar by the latch) senses door open/closed and triggers also electric latch to open/close. So if MFD shows door open, it should have triggered also the latch to open. This a kind of eliminates effect of poor contact from door to vehicle. And, of course those contacts were checked and cleaned. Still pretty rare and random.

Have a good time over there. When get bored with surfing just head up here north to enjoy steady +20C afternoon highs.

Our sliding door auto latch has failed loads of times but it doesn't "think" the door is open like the boot. Mentioned it to Carrs but they claimed it was fine.

Talking of which I called them about this issue saying it was urgent. No call back. Called the next day to chase, left on hold for ages, gave up.

So I've had good and now poor service from them. They need to up their game now.

28 degrees here, surf amazing but it's now busy!

Reactions: mmi
@Pauly or anyone else that might know, any idea where in the boot opening the sensor is? Just wondered if it might be worth cleaning or wiggling it.
I can see it clearly in the sliding door bit can't see any electrical contact point in the boot.

@Pauly or anyone else that might know, any idea where in the boot opening the sensor is? Just wondered if it might be worth cleaning or wiggling it.
I can see it clearly in the sliding door bit can't see any electrical contact point in the boot.
My assumption is the switch (opening sensor) is in the latch in the door (tailgate). My guess is based on that by playing with the latch in the door (and/or opening switch inside of the tailgate) I can activate the electric latching mechanism (in the chassis of the van) to move in and out. Never looked inside the door but I would think the switch is integral part of doors latch. Not sure if answered your question at all :confused:

Yes i think thats correct, built into the lock mechanism in the door itself
Thanks; makes it a bit hard to fiddle with!
Just trying to find a temporary measure until we get back. Not worried about the auto latch working, just want to shut the darn dash alarm up. Might have to stick to loud music.
Luckily it locks okay.

Arghh, it's returned!!
Had a call from the "Executive office" and I have a feeling this and a couple of other issues will be sorted without any hassles when we return...

Back with a vengeance last night; auto latch decided to repeatedly open and close until I got out and closed it. At 2am...
Grrrr...

And... it's back again.
VWs response has irritated me; my dealer didn't return calls, VW Assist is as good as useless anywhere but certain parts of France.

I will be having serious words on our return.

Back