Audio systems for dummies

Dan Morritz

Transport Planner
T6 Pro
Let me paint the picture.... I love my music, and I love the Sonos speakers i have invested in to enjoy wireless, quality tones throughout the house, but i chose them for very obvious reasons: the sound is ace (yes, you can get better) and they really are a 'plug and play' dream.

And there's the giveaway - I know NOTHING about how to even start upgrading my audio system in the Kombi, yet I really want to know what i need to invest in, to create a decent quality richness of sound for me and the fam. The things that I am struggling with are:
1. What's the factory head unit like - what are it's limitations and what's the main reason for most of you upgrading? Having never had DAB before - its sublime, so why change?
2. I really want speakers in the rear of our Kombi (its not a camper, its basically for storing bikes and sheltering from poor weather), but i need to know if that can be done from the existing head unit, or is that why people upgrade?
3. When do i need to install an amp - is it for anything additional to what is already installed in the factory build?
4. The subwoofer under the passenger seat - how do passengers honestly feel about it?

I have searched through the threads on the forum and I'll be honest, I get lost within a few posts, especially when I see some of the wiring images.... I'm not afraid to get stuck in, but I just need to understand some basics!!! Is there a guide out there that can provide an overview for absolute dummies like me. If you are like me, and don't know where to start, back me up!!
Thanks for any help, mockery, jibes, provocative trolling and sincere support. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
@Dan Morritz. Someone with more (a lot more!) knowledge than me will be along shortly but it might help if you can say what factory head unit is fitted at the moment.

Cheers @Ayjay - I have no idea what my head unit is called, but it's this one:

View attachment 110556
That'll definitely drive a pair of rear speakers, but you will need to code it to enable the rear fader option. Have a chat with @Absolut5 they are brilliant with these vans (and they'll shortly start suppling the audio upgrades for installation at the cave). They offer some truly plug and play upgrades and will also offer really good advice too.

I've made a start on audio recently.....started with speakers
Front are Audsion AP8 8" mid and AP1 tweeters
Rears are Audison APX 6.5 coaxial
Jason @Absolut5 has made me a loom to connect a small Kenwood amp that will fit under the dash all plug and play.
Main thing is soundproof and deaden the doors to help get the most out of your speakers.
A under seat 10" sub and amp will follow eventually.

Sorry i can't really comment on your headunit as i have a Kenwood but i'm sure you will need it coding with VCDS to allow you to run rears.

Not heard of Audison until recently. I will have Discovery media. Do they work together? What do I need to get right?

Let me paint the picture.... I love my music, and I love the Sonos speakers i have invested in to enjoy wireless, quality tones throughout the house

2. I really want speakers in the rear of our Kombi (its not a camper, its basically for storing bikes and sheltering from poor weather), but i need to know if that can be done from the existing head unit, or is that why people upgrade?

I love the Sonos system that we have in our house too. I used to like it even more before all their nonsense about upgrading to S2. I'm quite happy with S1 which plays music wherever I want. I don't need to be able to talk to it.

But back to T6s, rear speakers off the VW head unit without additional amplification should be fine. We insisted on a built in arrangement in our T6 that could be operated from the VW head unit when in 'vehicle mode' or separately driven when in 'leisure mode'. Have a look at my post here. I know yours isn't a camper but it could give you some ideas about what can be done. A proper bimodal arrangement and our attempt to 'take our Sonos with us'! Running Radio off Leisure Battery

Cheers @Ayjay - I have no idea what my head unit is called, but it's this one:

View attachment 110556
for the benefit of future readers;

Back