AT 235/55/18 - does the extra sidewall cause issues?

Update. Michelin cross climate 235 55 18s are on. There was a delay in the 1Form edition 2 wheel so I decided on the edition 1. So far the van is driving really well with these tyres. I was concerned about the dimensions and arch gap now that the van isn’t lowered anymore but I think it works ok.

View attachment 98259
Looks perfect to me!

Hi, I’ve read the whole thread but still a tad confuddled on the size of tyre I need to fit on the rims I’ve yet to decide upon.

first things first, I’m after something AT flavoured, the General Grabber in AT3 guise seems to tick the boxes. I’ve had winter tyres on a T5 that were ok but always thought if I had something abbot more aggressive I would be able to venture further off the beaten track.

the question is which size or aspect ratio do I need to choose. I am remaining on 18” rims and I’m probably going firm on MOMO Revenge in anthracite or DARE LG2 Matt black.

As for size the general consensus appears to be 235x55x18. I am looking at the thread and can also see that 255x45x18 also appears to be utilised.
Can I ask the knowledgeable that have done this what is the difference between the two sizes. Is there any catching with the 255’s ?
It’s a 204 DSG Caravelle MY18

thanks.

Gillyg, Thanks that makes it seem back to front..... which is why a picture paints......

I had it my head that the 255 was the one to go for as it was bigger, and now i know why the 235 are more popular so thanks again, Just to add even more confusion, i've swayed from the GG AT3 towards the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus which comes in 255 x 60 x 18, Which may well be too much for the arches, it also puts the clocks out 10% so that's not great...... Might have to go down to 17's ?

I'll have another play on the configurator, :smile bounce:

Gillyg, Thanks that makes it seem back to front..... which is why a picture paints......

I had it my head that the 255 was the one to go for as it was bigger, and now i know why the 235 are more popular so thanks again, Just to add even more confusion, i've swayed from the GG AT3 towards the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus which comes in 255 x 60 x 18, Which may well be too much for the arches, it also puts the clocks out 10% so that's not great...... Might have to go down to 17's ?

I'll have another play on the configurator, :smile bounce:
If you want to run 18" wheels the GG AT3 235/55/18 will be a great choice IMO.

I have pretty much the same vehicle as you and have just put some Pirelli Scorpion AT+ 225/65/17 on, and I'm really happy with them. You can go for 235/65/17 which may look a bit better, but I didn't want to oversize by that much.

Reactions: C4S
Update. Michelin cross climate 235 55 18s are on. There was a delay in the 1Form edition 2 wheel so I decided on the edition 1. So far the van is driving really well with these tyres. I was concerned about the dimensions and arch gap now that the van isn’t lowered anymore but I think it works ok.

View attachment 98259
Love the result! Im about to go on 235 60 17... on OEM suspension, i think i will get the same look as your, Thanks for sharing!!

Back