Are Roof rails permanent?

Firthster

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi im looking for a van and discard any that have roof bars fitted, that got me thinking can they be removed?
so that the roof wont leak rust etc
or once fitted is that them fitted for life
cheers

They are fully removable and would be the same as a van that's never had them fitted. (provided the blanking bolts are put back in)

Roof rails/bars usually bolt into captive nuts located along the gutter rail. To remove them you unbolt the rails and then put back in VW blanking bolts that seal the hole up.

pics on this thread, showing the fixing points and OEM blanking bolts

Yes, i got some spares on ebay, but im sure TPS or local dealer could also supply

I’ve bought them from my local VW dealer, they are just under £2 each IIRC. You’ll need 8 for a SWB van or 10 for a LWB. The VW bolts come with a thin rubber washer to make them watertight.

I’ve bought them from my local VW dealer, they are just under £2 each IIRC. You’ll need 8 for a SWB van or 10 for a LWB. The VW bolts come with a thin rubber washer to make them watertight.
Evening, technically he should only require 6 as the other 2 remain in-situ with the roof rails fitted ! :thumbsup:

If you send me a PM with your address details i'll send you some FOC . I've just removed some yesterday !

Back