Are my sliding windows wonky?

Newcs

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

I’m a new member who has recently picked up a 67 plate highline panel van. I have converted a T5 previously so have a little knowledge. I Spent the first week cleaning up and today I had installed (by a local firm) the Transporter HQ sliding windows.

I queried with the fitter if they had been installed correctly and he has assured me they have. My issue is from the inside they do not look straight. The job overall is ok, I’m not totally impressed by it. I have added some pictures for your thoughts. This may be how others are and it may put my mind at rest but searching round I cannot find any images to see how others look.

First pic is the cut out, whilst not the neatest it’s fairly even and it obviously follows the interior lip.

The inside is a little bit more difficult to capture but you can see it has a bigger gap on the right hand side next to the handle

E65F79C1-EB4C-44FC-AC7C-7FBE5065F2E2.jpeg

1507786F-1447-4C89-A474-4C9938893133.jpeg

5F8E4FA8-459D-4DEB-A3CD-2D340ACF0007.jpeg

0B1CA99B-C0F7-4930-81ED-1C3501C2A2F0.jpeg

Thought as much. The inside has been cut straight, but the runners make the window look wonky because they have a natural fall to them.

Mate they’re fine, in my view. If it didn’t match on the outside then I’d be worried.

You could criticise the fitter and say that they should have cut the aperture wonky to match, but that’s not really cricket as they’ve just cut the window out as standard, and cutting both skins is no doubt harder.

Either you’ll have to live with it, bodge a Caravelle sliding door trim to hide it a little or fit a Swellshade / VanShade to completely cover it.

That’s good to hear.

Is it standard practice to cut the aperture on a slant as well or are most like this? I don’t suppose they would be noticeable with a fixed window.

That’s good to hear.

Is it standard practice to cut the aperture on a slant as well or are most like this? I don’t suppose they would be noticeable with a fixed window.
No, because the fitters seem to cut to the inner window frame. But if a firm like THQ know that their windows fit a particular way, then perhaps they could do, but they may need taller j-trim. However a regular window fitter would just cut a regular hole.

That’s great. As long as most sliders fitted look like this then I’m happy with that! If it annoys me too much I’ll change it to a fixed one.

Appreciate the reply and info.

Hey @Newcs just to add to some of the comments above. I have aftermarket sliding windows in my van. The windows are true and spot on to the exterior lines of the van but internally aren’t parallel to the cutout opening. As @Ads_Essex said above I believe the drainage runner is slanted to help drain water but like you I thought the exact same when I fitted mine years ago!

Am I reading right there THQ windows but fitted by a different firm?

THQ don't fit their own windows anymore.

They can can bang out LED light fittings and suspension in a fraction of the time taken to fit windows.

I got in touch a few months ago and they told me this. They did recommend a few fitters when I enquired, but being from Glasgow I just got them delivered and had a local company for them for me.

However, mine were to replace a leaky set of factory sliders, so no cutting required.

Hey @Newcs just to add to some of the comments above. I have aftermarket sliding windows in my van. The windows are true and spot on to the exterior lines of the van but internally aren’t parallel to the cutout opening. As @Ads_Essex said above I believe the drainage runner is slanted to help drain water but like you I thought the exact same when I fitted mine years ago!
Excellent, glad to hear it. I was panicking a bit!

Just an addition to this. Been having a look around the fitting of the windows overall. Can anyone clarify a few things for me please?

How far should the windows be set into the recess (from the outside)? I don’t think mine are set in enough. Feel like if I run my hand along the bodywork it raises up when you hit the glass. The fitter has said they stick out slightly due to the drainage channels but I’m not sure.

The back window seems not the be central and there’s a bigger gap at the top (with sealant coming out) I can pretty much get my fingers down the back.
The fitter has been great to be fair and has said he will come out to address any issues I raise. I just want to make sure I’ve got genuine concerns.

2AD24E2F-6D52-481E-B5AF-6B5EBAAEA467.jpeg

2A5D6A01-0F16-4B30-BE0C-DDCE7FAE3DB8.jpeg

287D7949-D192-483B-9032-6DAFB6375FBA.jpeg

79867A88-9063-4E1E-9DD0-52449E28356A.jpeg

78278925-E1C9-4D80-9FBE-5ACD68D7D473.jpeg

Hi @Newcs I can’t comment much on the tailgate rear window as my van has barn doors.

I fitted all my windows myself and was very cautious about positioning, to the point I went around with a ruler measuring the gaps around the window to ensure they’re square to the van. I have even gaps side to side, also top to bottom, this can be achieved for sure.

As for how much they protrude from the van, similar to one of your images the corner radius of the windows seem to stick out a little further than the straight edges. With the van being curved itself I’m sure it’s tough to get the matching curve in the glass. I haven’t ever given an OEM window a look to see if this is just aftermarket windows that do this. I’ll get some pictures of mine tomorrow and post them up here for you.

In my opinion from your images your windows look good and similar to mine. But… if you say the tailgate is not central top to bottom or side to side this finish is definitely achievable and something I would want changed. An even gap all the way around is how it should be placed :thumbsup:

Just an addition to this. Been having a look around the fitting of the windows overall. Can anyone clarify a few things for me please?

How far should the windows be set into the recess (from the outside)? I don’t think mine are set in enough. Feel like if I run my hand along the bodywork it raises up when you hit the glass. The fitter has said they stick out slightly due to the drainage channels but I’m not sure.

The back window seems not the be central and there’s a bigger gap at the top (with sealant coming out) I can pretty much get my fingers down the back.
The fitter has been great to be fair and has said he will come out to address any issues I raise. I just want to make sure I’ve got genuine concerns.

View attachment 168720

View attachment 168721

View attachment 168722

View attachment 168723

View attachment 168724
I have a factory kombi if you would like pics to compare ?

Thanks for the replies.

Kombi photos would be good please. Anyone also got any ones of aftermarket ones fitted - particularly interested in the camper glass ones.

Every pic you’ve shared looks pretty similar to my last van which I cut and installed Kombi side windows - however the mastic sitting above the glass on the rear window would irritate me and does not look to be very well installed.

Just been to look at mine. No idea what brand they are but they are flush to the side of the van. They are curved to follow the curve of the van very well though.

Back