Applying Sound Deadening And Insulation In This Great British Weather

Cb83

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So I'm keen to order sound deadening and insulation to fit over the next few weekends but obviously conscious of it being bl***y freezing at the moment. I don't have anywhere to do this inside say a garage or unit so the question is, is it a good idea to try and apply while it's so cold? Will the ambient temputure have an impact on the adhesive?

We soundproofed the whole of the inside whilst parked on the road just a couple of weeks ago when it was cold and wet.

You really need an electric paint stripper gun to make the bitumen type soundproofing soft pliable and sticky so it's applied properly.

If it's a sunny day do one side of the van at a time making sure the sun hits the side you're doing as the heat from the sun really does warm the metal up.

You have to do it with the doors open or it will steam up inside the van which you really don't want... if the weather is too bad to have the doors open use the air conditioning to dry out the inside but it does mean doing it with the engine running much of the time.

Good luck and it's actually a nice job doing it and the results are dramatic.

We soundproofed the whole of the inside whilst parked on the road just a couple of weeks ago when it was cold and wet.

You really need an electric paint stripper gun to make the bitumen type soundproofing soft pliable and sticky so it's applied properly.

If it's a sunny day do one side of the van at a time making sure the sun hits the side you're doing as the heat from the sun really does warm the metal up.

You have to do it with the doors open or it will steam up inside the van which you really don't want... if the weather is too bad to have the doors open use the air conditioning to dry out the inside but it does mean doing it with the engine running much of the time.

Good luck and it's actually a nice job doing it and the results are dramatic.

Thanks for this, I was considering using a little element heater to dry the inside out and keep it all warm whilst applying, unfortunately I don't have air con. When you say paint stripper gun do you mean the heat gun type?

Yes the heat gun type. We tried the heater idea but it doesn't work. not enough heat and it just creates a lot of running condensation. The sun seriously heats the outside metal up and a heat gun makes the sheets very pliable... so as long as it's dry and sunny you'll be fine with the doors open.

I'm leaving mine till march-ish when the weather warms up again.

Have you got a mains fan heater ? These kick out a lot of heat!!
Yes that is the type I was thinking, although going by @Long tall John experience I'll probably give that a miss and keep my fingers crossed for some sun instead, as @Sabre mentions ideally I'd wait but I have a itch to scratch, worse comes to worse and it doesn't take I'll have to... :thumbsdown:

Give it a go. whichever way you do it it's pretty obvious whether you've got the conditions right for it to stick. If you think it's going to be a battle save it for a day with better weather

7B094B62-FE50-4AB4-878F-147C4A99FF63.jpeg I’ve been doing this over the past few weeks in zero temperatures. Use of afore mentioned heat gun is imperative and actually works really well with the roller applied.

This weekend the weather although wet, is going to be above 10C, so it should be much easier. I’ll still use the heat gun though!

Load the sheets into the oven for a whilst to warm up. Grab a couple at a time when you need them

I thought of that but it would be more hassle than it's worth. Get it even slightly wrong and you could end up with them melted in a puddle or just too hot to touch. It's so easy to warm up one at a time with a heat gun and when you cut little strips you only have to heat that little strip.. also if you heat them up too much they're hard to fit into a small area as they are just too sticky and floppy

I put the door seals on yesterday - dry and a balmy 10 degrees but no speedos! At least they’re held in place with the door shut!

Did mine last winter, beat gun defo needed, I just left it running on low constantly in the van on its stand, warmed the van up nicely whilst I was working on it :thumbsup:

Back