Poor CarPlay connection..

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I've got a 2017 latest edition T6 ................. the reliability of using the SATNAV or any of the car play functions from my iPhone is getting very bad - it don't connect, or disconnects .....

I did think it was the cables, but the phone charges.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mines rubbish.

It's OK for all the apps etc but the phone sound quality is dreadful. Apparently sounds like I'm underwater to whoever is on the other end of the phone. VW said it was Apples problem, it's not, somethings not correct and its going back. My van is 6 months old. Piss take to be honest.

Mine is okay for a while then a strange issue starts to happen where it seems disconnect and immediately reconnect.
After some experiments I found that rebooting the iPhone settles it down.

Interestingly I gave the misses a lift yesterday - and she plugged in her iphone 7 - it worked immediately using the cable that won't work with my iphone 5 ...... so is it the phone?

As for the quality of the calls - generally very good (carp Vodaphone coverage permitting!)

Mine is in at vw this morning for same issue, freezing, cutting out and restarting, apparently there is a software update that sorts this out mine was version 240, the latest appears to be 252. I’ll see how this goes later as I have read others having further issues even after updating

Well that was 2 hours wasted, vw software is down so can’t do it need to rebook it next week

OK - got this sorted after a web search!

My issue was down to a dirty lighting connector in my iphone - and I used a toothpick to carefully clean out the port

Happy days

I've got a Skoda on loan from VW as they have my sick Kombi - the reliability and speed of connection of Apple Car Play is far, far better in the Skoda than my Kombi - using the same phone and cable

Any suggestions ?

Just resurrecting this thread. Still having on and off issues with the usb connected iPhone

Does anyone know if VW plan to support CarPlay via Bluetooth ?

Just resurrecting this thread. Still having on and off issues with the usb connected iPhone

Does anyone know if VW plan to support CarPlay via Bluetooth ?
CarPlay is not Bluetooth compatible (except for initial setup) and VW can’t change that. Wireless CarPlay is being rolled out (it uses WiFi) but you will need a new compatible head unit, it will not work with existing models.

Thanks for that.

I can’t decide if it’s the phone or the van that makes the connection unreliable .... I’ve changed cables and it’s still the same. Bumpy roads with the T32 are definitely the biggest problem .....

It will be the usb cable or as Mentioned your phone is needing a clean out in the power connection

Use a cocktail stick and compressed air to gently clean out the port on the phone.
I once found a grain of rice neatly across the bottom of the socket it was stopping the cable clicking home.

Mine works much more reliably when I use a proper Apple cable from their web store, even the Amazon cables that are supposed to be oem give me issues.

The phone still sounds pretty crap through Carplay though, works better for people on the other end if I use bluetooth instead.

Mine works much more reliably when I use a proper Apple cable from their web store, even the Amazon cables that are supposed to be oem give me issues.

The phone still sounds pretty crap through Carplay though, works better for people on the other end if I use bluetooth instead.
I’m 99% sure that the phone mode in CarPlay also uses Bluetooth and doesn’t go through the usb interface. (Edit: yes it’s always Bluetooth whether using CarPlay or not)

I never have any problems with CarPlay in my car, but swap the same phone and lead into the van and I get occasional disconnect issues along with other weirdness like Siri and nav voice coming through the stereo and music come out of the phone speaker. Only seems to be VW head units that have issues so I suspect either flawed implementation or a dodgy component

I’m 99% sure that the phone mode in CarPlay also uses Bluetooth and doesn’t go through the usb interface. (Edit: yes it’s always Bluetooth whether using CarPlay or not)

I never have any problems with CarPlay in my car, but swap the same phone and lead into the van and I get occasional disconnect issues along with other weirdness like Siri and nav voice coming through the stereo and music come out of the phone speaker. Only seems to be VW head units that have issues so I suspect either flawed implementation or a dodgy component

That's odd then, I've had people say I sound muffled/underwater while plugged in, so I pull the lead out and they say there's an instant improvement in clarity.

Back