AppConnect USB relocation nearer driver

Dazmitch

Hi guys, just picked up my new T6 highline with the stereo fitted with app connect. I thought this would be a great feature having my phone in my car but I now realise it has to be plugged into the USB which is on the other side of the van??? I've had the stereo out today to see if had a simple USB) port I could plug into the back to move the cable nearer the drivers seat.... But it's a totally different connection. What's my options, can I move the USB port? Or can I add another one to the existing setero unit? I only need the passenger USB for charging. Any help much appreciated!!

There’s a splitter box inside your dash so there’s a single cable from headunit to splitter then two cables leaving one to each USB outlet.
Most of the plugs are handed and only fit in one port so I thing you would need to swap the USB ports over and possibly the cables too (but maybe not the cables as I think the app connect (apple chip) is inside the usb outlet) as they are different size mounting plates I think you will need to swap the usb outlet insert from one plastic housing to the other and vice versa

That's great I'll have a root around for it and post some pics once it's moved. Why do they have a splitter already installed if the van only has one USB socket?

The second USB has now been dropped by VW, typically. It can be added, and will need to be coded. We’ve had someone do it but not done it personally ourselves yet. It seems ludicrous that they’ve dropped the usb in the comfort dash cubby hole!

Well that's annoying, I think i'm going to move the existing usb then. How difficult is it to change the old USB to just a charge only port?

Sorry I misread your post and thought you had two but CarPlay only worked on the far one

My comfort dash only has 1 usb on the passenger side. It really annoys me as one in the centre console would be so much handier. There is a blanking plate but no USB.
Is it possible to retro fit one?
Would only want it for charging.

Oli give me shout if you want the part numbers etc I have a kit ready to go in mine when I do my dash
VW have updated the splitter box and it now has three outlets

A bit over £200 for the parts IIRC thats the splitter box/mounting bracket/power plug, 2 x USB outlets and the three leads to go between stereo>splitter>outlets

Was talking to a dealer about this yesterday, he said I’m sure you can get a usb in the comfort dash too by the 12v socket. He was going away to find out but I’m guessing I know what the response will be now. How silly though as the blanking plate is there.

Oli give me shout if you want the part numbers etc I have a kit ready to go in mine when I do my dash
VW have updated the splitter box and it now has three outlets
@Pauly do you think I could get my original dash usb working if I changed my 2 splitter for the 3 way .

Not sure but think it’s possible, I think you would need another usb outlet and have to transfer the guts into your existing dash housImg to make it compatible

Mine has one in the console near gear shift and one in the passenger side. can you not run a usb extension behind the dash and plug into the existing port

@Pauly You mention the splitter box in the dash above for the App Connect USB's...if I only have one USB in the glove box is that splitter still there? Reason being I have the green usb socket in the glove box but not in the cubby by the gear stick, comfort dash.

Where about in the dash is the splitter box? I'd like to check before I ask the dealers to get me a cable for the centre cubby.

Thanks.

Image from another post...

IMG_0887.PNG

A single outlet will not have the usb hub present
Don’t confuse the hub with app connect the two are not related
The hub lives behind the upper glovebox/Cubby hole, if you are planning to add the second usb outlet you need to scrap everything you have and install TWO new usb outlets and the hub and THREE new cables (including radio to hub) and there’s a bit of wiring to do as the hub needs a 12v supply that is not present, it gets expensive !

A single outlet will not have the usb hub present
Don’t confuse the hub with app connect the two are not related
The hub lives behind the upper glovebox/Cubby hole, if you are planning to add the second usb outlet you need to scrap everything you have and install TWO new usb outlets and the hub and THREE new cables (including radio to hub) and there’s a bit of wiring to do as the hub needs a 12v supply that is not present, it gets expensive !

@Pauly Is it easy to check if it's there by removing the head unit?

Back