Anzac Day

JSJQ

T6 Pro
I didn’t know where to post this so I hope it’s OK here.

Today is Anzac Day in Australia. It is usually a day of marches, of solemn remembrance, of seeing old mates, of telling tall stories and of playing “two up“ - a game of chance which is illegal on the other 364 days of the year.

Today there were no mass gatherings, no marches, no bands. Instead it is quiet. My wife and I joined 20 neighbours on our driveway, heard the ode read (They grow not old as we who are left grow old, age does not weary them nor the years contemn, at the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.), heard the last post played by our 13 year old grandson, and then we spent a minute in quiet contemplation.

Let’s next year is different for us all. “Lest we forget.”

I believe you don’t hear much if anything about what is happening in in Australia. We have had very few deaths - somewhere in the 70’s- our ICU’s are almost empty. Our country is being run by a national cabinet made up of the prime minister and the premiers of all states and territories. It has the support of over 80% of the population as do the strict measures on association.

I know that you are doing it very hard and our thoughts are with you.

Nice post, I have a great memory of attending the dawn ceremony at Basra airfield, Iraq in 2006. The sun coming up over the horizon and the aussie soldiers in slouch hats, the hard biscuits and tot of strong alcohol( mmmm several tots actually) very very poignant. A memory I wont forget.
Had the privilege of visiting the memorial and war museum in Canberra recently, its truly amazing and if anyone goes, you must go to the last post ceremony at 5 pm.
I was also staggered to see the quality of the RSL, (returned services league, a bit like our British Legion) in Katoomba, the restaurant was fabulous, and a real community hub. The painting below with the hundreds of soldiers in it ( It took me a while to realise they weren’t flowers) sums it up, it also has a wonderful back story
Nice post mate

74D0FDC8-C4C3-44BD-9670-A540F62D9367.jpeg

Well said. I saw it was Anzac Day today and like everything at the moment it would not be possible to follow the normal routines and to remember the sacrifices made for us all in the time honoured way. It’s great that you have done your own thing and maybe others will too and in doing so they may just think about exactly what they are doing and why.

A big thank you to everyone who has serviced for their country!

The painting is called ‘Menin Gate at midnight’ by Will Longstaff. Its huge and takes your breath away. It was dedicated to the 350,000 men of the empire forces who had died in the battles around Ypres. Longstaff is reported to have been so profoundly moved by the ceremony that during a midnight walk along the Menin road he saw a vision of steel-helmeted spirits rising from the moonlit cornfields around him. It is said that, following his return to London, he painted the work in one session, while still under psychic influence. Another (nicer) account suggests that Longstaff was influenced by Mrs Mary Horsburgh, who had worked in a British canteen during the war, and who told him when he met her during his evening walk that she could feel 'her dead boys' all around her.

I should have realised that was the Menin Gate. We visited there in April 2018, and attended the ceremony. Very moving.

Pete

What great words, just finished Somme Mud by E P F Lynch, and Australian soldier who served in France and Belgium from 1914-16.

It's a great read , brutal at times but full of humour and Aussie grit have so much respect for those men who travelled so far and gave so much.

My great grandfather was a veteran of Yrpres, lost his arm in 1917, had the privilege of having him in my life until I was 14. Still visit his grave every November a proud soldier of Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, Private William Barber....my hero.

There is a YouTube video by Kevin Bloody Wilson posted for Anzac Day, where he shares family history of both World Wars and the experience of an Australian Veteran of Vietnam,well worth a watch.

Brockenhurst in Hampshire always marked Anzac Day as there were troops stationed near by prior to D-day.

Back