LV insurance

RealGoneKid

Hi

just in the final throws of insuring my newly converted van. After extensively looking at everything mentioned on here LV are coming out on top, and a lot of people seem to use them.

However they don’t use a valuation for their policies, relying on “market values and glasses guides” etc.

Just wondered if any campervanners out there have had any claims experience of significance with them. There a difference between us all owners in what they look like and cost so I would be keen to know, especially if anyone has had one sadly disappear off a drive etc, how easy it was to get it settled.

The only company close pricewise are Brentacre, but the insurer they recommend doesn’t get great press/reviews.

I have tried to insure my campervan several times with LV but they always reply right at the end of the process ‘we don’t insure this type of vehicle’.
mine is nothing out of the ordinary and has no modifications other than the conversion.
just thought worth mentioning in case you have not ticked the correct boxes.

I have our Cali insured with them, so no problem with factory build.

They insure me through Caravanwise at the moment, definitely a campervan specific policy.

I have a good quote from LV for renewal, was wondering about the wording myself. Went through it twice and added on the audio upgrade, seemed straightforward.

Edit: can't help with the original question, not had to claim.

I had a nightmare with LV and a claim. Short story- woman claimed I clipped her wing mirror. No witnesses, no damage to mine at all, cracked glass only on her wingmirror. She claimed personal injury for whiplash, £1300 for the wing mirror and a months hire car. At my insistence they challenged the whiplash (asked me if I wanted to!) but paid out the rest and found against me. If you've ever clouted a wing mirror trust me, you know when you've hit one. I lost 3 yrs NCB, had a fault accident recorded against me and am still paying extra now because of it.

Last edited:
I found the issues are not necessary the company you are with its the underwriter of the insurance behind them. When you claim they call the shots.
clip_image001.jpg
y
ry

Reactions: DXX
Some interesting experience/views here - thanks. It’s how they would interpret the value of a converted camper at a point of claim that foxes me. When people can spend 5k or 55k (i.e massive range) on converting it isn’t clear to me on how they would assess a serious size loss claim, if they are not insuring a defined value.

I’ll ring them again tomorrow and see if I can get further up the chain of command!

I had a Which magazine subscription in 2020, I took a screenshot of the motor insurance ratings, NFU were top, LV were not far behind.
My converted van is now insured with NFU, I was with Brentacre but I felt they were taking the piss with the premium on the second year.
1618517767993.png

I've just insured my camper with Just Kampers. I did an online quote which came back at over £2000, but after a phone call and someone taking all the details, they came back with £300. I also had a quote from Safeguard for £300. A Plan refused to insure me, but that was because of my unusual living arrangements. I live on a narrowboat in a marina with residential address in a gated community but some insurance companies don't like that, or don't understand it :rolleyes: My car is with LV this year and when I asked them about the camper they said they wouldn't cover a converted panel van.

I had a Which magazine subscription in 2020, I took a screenshot of the motor insurance ratings, NFU were top, LV were not far behind.
My converted van is now insured with NFU, I was with Brentacre but I felt they were taking the piss with the premium on the second year.
View attachment 112739

Those appear to be services/featured offered, not how the various companies perform in the event of a claim?

My car is with LV this year and when I asked them about the camper they said they wouldn't cover a converted panel van.

That's odd, they insured my PV, then the suspension, wheel and body kit mods, then again when the conversion was complete under a 'motorhome' policy.

My car is with LV this year and when I asked them about the camper they said they wouldn't cover a converted panel van.
That's odd, they insured my PV, then the suspension, wheel and body kit mods, then again when the conversion was complete under a 'motorhome' policy.

Strange, mine’s a converted Kombi and I had no problem insuring it with LV.

Had another chat with them this morning. Have proceeded and policy has it down as VW MotorCaravan with no mods. As for the variance of value was basically told to keep every receipt regarding fixtures and fittings if required for a claim.

My gut feel is if I were insuring a mega conversion which had a significant cost I’d not be keen on their underwriting process. As it is mine isn’t. Like everything it’s a risk call with these things.

Reactions: CAB
I rang up LV to add someone to my policy that I had quoted two weeks back.
They said we need to sort your policy first as we have moved it over to a motorcaravan policy from a converted van policy.. an extra £65 which they reduced to £50 when I complained that I had spoken to an advisor in the first instance and all was good.
The upshot is now covered for a motorcaravan including all parts of the conversion at price paid.
Anyone else with LV experienced this in the last couple of weeks?

You have a 14 day cooling off period which I’m guessing has passed.
They will have provided doc’s at the point of purchase for you to review and ensure that all details are correct.
As with all phone calls ‘ recorded for training purposes’, so they should be able to re-call that message and see what was said.

Do you need to add them permanently, or just for a short time? If the latter, look at an add on policy for the other driver with someone that offers temporary cover.

The additional driver is short term. They wouldn’t do this till they had changed my policy. The advisor said they were looking at all converted van policies and swapping over.

I am with LV, I had to double check the pricing when I got the van as the premium had gone down with a week. I asked them to double check as I didn’t want to be caught out especially with all the MODs on the van. Strange what you have been told, it may be worth contacting another insurance company and ask what they quote.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Back