Anyone sprayed the Roof Rails black?

T5SUG

T6 Pro
I have a set of cheap Alluminium roof rails on my van which I'm thinking of spraying black.
Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if you did any prep work to them beforehand rubbing down primer etc or just went ahead and sprayed them and what the results were like ?

in the end I just decided to go ahead and spray them. Removed all the feet wiped them down and dried them, then after an hour sprayed them with Halfords Satin Black paint spray.
TBH they don't look to bad may just give them one more coat tomorrow. Will post a picture when done.

Only spotted this thread - the only advice I’d offer is to give the rails a sand to key them, then use an etch primer (available at halfrauds or EuroParts.) this ensures the primer sticks to the aluminium rail and a paint sticks better!

Edit: etch primer has an acid in it that ensures it grips better!

Only spotted this thread - the only advice I’d offer is to give the rails a sand to key them, then use an etch primer (available at halfrauds or EuroParts.) this ensures the primer sticks to the aluminium rail and a paint sticks better!

Edit: etch primer has an acid in it that ensures it grips better!
Thanks mate, that’s really useful to know. Out of interest, did you go to all the anti-leak measures when fitting your rails? I’m not very technical but I don’t want any leaks!

Thanks mate, that’s really useful to know. Out of interest, did you go to all the anti-leak measures when fitting your rails? I’m not very technical but I don’t want any leaks!
There’s a useful thread on how to do the rails that is leak free - I just can’t find it right now!

I would 100% recommend using the threaded bar and roofing washer approach as detailed on a thread on here. I used silicon the first time and they leaked refitted again with silicon and after a while they leaked again.

Used the threaded bar and no leaked so far

I would 100% recommend using the threaded bar and roofing washer approach as detailed on a thread on here. I used silicon the first time and they leaked refitted again with silicon and after a while they leaked again.

Used the threaded bar and no leaked so far
That’s the one -can you find the thread? (Honestly, no pun intended!)

That’s the one -can you find the thread? (Honestly, no pun intended!)
Here you go

I think this is the gold standard method. Very simple and very effective

Back