Dummy Rear Windows - Anyone seen this done before?

Saw someone doing it on one of the many build threads I read on the other forum. They left a gap at the bottom in the adhesive to let air in to stop condensation. Not sure I would have done that as if no air can get in then it won't condense? Could be wrong.

I plan to do this to my new van. I have seen lads spray the panel black behind or stick black vinyl to the panel so that you cannot see the original paint colour and it looks like a real window. I hope it looks OK with the privacy tinted OEM sliding windows, I was then going to stick OEM privacy non sliding to the rear panels. Hopefully with the blacked out panel behind the shades of glass will look OK!! Be great to see what others have done

I have also considered putting some gloss black vinyl on the back barn doors to look like glass panels. Would be good to see more photos of similar projects.

IMG_1156.JPG
I plan to do this to my new van. I have seen lads spray the panel black behind or stick black vinyl to the panel so that you cannot see the original paint colour and it looks like a real window. I hope it looks OK with the privacy tinted OEM sliding windows, I was then going to stick OEM privacy non sliding to the rear panels. Hopefully with the blacked out panel behind the shades of glass will look OK!! Be great to see what others have done
Hi Sean , vinyl behind OEM glass vent holes at base very happy ,no sights of moisture behind :)

I have a false window on my van behind the furniture I would post a picture but it appears I don't take many photos of that side.

The gaps are left also to stop the glass shattering, this can happen when the air behind the glass expands and has nowhere to go.
If you don't want an external hole I would suggest a couple in the panel towards the edge (no too close it gets covered is adhesive) so it vents behind the interior Trim.

Mines sealed up tighter than a drum and been sat in the sun all day. Alls well.

IMG_0304.JPG Here's how I did mine, I did exactly the same with my T4 camper, I think it looks better with the rear quarter windows. No gaps left, sealed all round, the glass sealant and the steel panel will all flex enough to allow for any pressure changes.
The steel panel was sprayed black to stop it showing through in sunlight.

IMG_0310.JPG

Back