Anyone got a Dometic CFF 35 or CDF 36? Looking for Opinions.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
As the title, Im looking for a fridge. But so many choices even if you just look for Dometic I'm getting a bit lost. Whats the difference between them as they range in price a lot.

Eg CFX3, 35 or CFX 28 or CFF 35 or CDF 36.

So, basically is it worth getting Dometic or are alternatives like the Just Campers as good just not got the brand name?

Been looking my self for a few days. Are you going compressor or not is the first choice.

12 VDC only, or also 110-230 VAC - narrows down the selection.

Also do the need a freezer section, some have both. For smaller units I cant see the point personally

Thanks for the replies
Been looking my self for a few days. Are you going compressor or not is the first choice.

Yes compressor.

12 VDC only, or also 110-230 VAC - narrows down the selection.

I didnt know there are 12v only compressor fridges. But I suppose mains could be useful.

Also do the need a freezer section, some have both. For smaller units I cant see the point personally

I've not seen a freezer section in any of the top loaders I've looked at. So probably not.

I purchased a CFX 35 last year before a trip to Italy and France when we hit the heatwave and temps were 40 deg plus.

The fridge absolutely saved our trip as it easily maintained the 4 deg C that I set it to both on hookup and 12v.

I went for this model as it fits nicely between my furniture and seat and when I have the awning attached I move it in there. It can hold a bottle of champagne and keeps all food and drink at whatever temp you set regardless of the ambient temp. It is also very energy efficient.

Yes they are expensive but in my experience highly recommended.

We have the smaller CFX28 - find it perfect for our needs.
Big enough for supplies for a long weekend for a family of 4 and will run the whole weekend offgrid from the leisure battery.
Goes down to -18. We use this feature for taking ice creams out on day trips.
Runs quiet enough that it does'nt bother us at night. Compressor kicks in and out once at temperature.
We keep it strapped down behind the front passenger seat and it doubles up as a table top and makeshift seat
Definately not cheap but well worth it for something we use a lot.
Before we bought this we had a cheaper 12v non-compressor chilled cool box thing that was useless and killed the battery in no time.

I purchased a CFX 35 last year before a trip to Italy and France when we hit the heatwave and temps were 40 deg plus.

The fridge absolutely saved our trip as it easily maintained the 4 deg C that I set it to both on hookup and 12v.

I went for this model as it fits nicely between my furniture and seat and when I have the awning attached I move it in there. It can hold a bottle of champagne and keeps all food and drink at whatever temp you set regardless of the ambient temp. It is also very energy efficient.

Yes they are expensive but in my experience highly recommended.

Thanks. Out of interest is it so much better than the CDF 36. which is about the same size but about £200-300 cheaper?

To be honest I don’t know as I did not look at the CDF models.

It looks to me that the CFX has a greater temperature range and for me I wanted something portable so the handles and extra external corner protection were important.

I also wanted something that ran on both 12v and 240v which I don’t think the CDF range does.

I guess it really depends on your needs and budget but I would say don’t skimp on the fridge as it makes or breaks a trip especially in hot weather.

Last edited:
I went for an Outwell 50L, 12v-230v been spot on for me, got it from Camper Interiors in Woodford

Another cheaper option are these - saw them in my local camping shop when they reopened. I had just bought a dometic CFX3 35

I'm going for this big bad boy...

I'm going for this big bad boy...
I can’t see any sizes on that. I don’t think it would fit in my van.
the Vitrifrigo I linked is about £550.

I’ve also found these but can’t find much info.

I have this fridge and it is BRILLIANT. Runs easily for 3-4 days on my leisure battery. Not sure why but, It uses a lot less power if you run it on 12v as apposed to 240v.
Maintains temp really well. It lives in my van all year round and has been a godsend this last few days. I also use it when out shopping for food as I then don't need to rush home with the cold food.
I believe it is the same running gear as the Dometic and a lot cheaper. Also, has a usb socket, which is handy.
I 100% recommend it.

It will be with me at the Summer meet if you want a closer look. :thumbsup:

Back