Anyone fitted a solar panel to a Hilo roof?

Rapt0rUK

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Has anyone fitted a solar panel to a Hilo roof? Wondering how you went about it, roof bars or bonded direct to roof etc...and which way you ran the cabling etc. When the roof is up on a Hilo there is quite a big gap to bridge from the back end of the roof and the tailgate so wondering how people have tackled it?

I have a panel bonded to the roof. It has a rear junction box so a big hole in the roof. Cable runs down to the back of the roof, through the ceiling panel then I drilled a hole through the hilo cassette, just behind the bed. The cable freely spans the gap then through the hole and follows the side of the cassette, under the soffit then down the 'B' pillar to the leisure battery. The cable just lies on the bed when the roof is closed. I've had no issues with it.

I have a panel bonded to the roof. It has a rear junction box so a big hole in the roof. Cable runs down to the back of the roof, through the ceiling panel then I drilled a hole through the hilo cassette, just behind the bed. The cable freely spans the gap then through the hole and follows the side of the cassette, under the soffit then down the 'B' pillar to the leisure battery. The cable just lies on the bed when the roof is closed. I've had no issues with it.
Hi Deaky, could you post some photos?

Hi Deaky, could you post some photos?
2nd that, would be really helpful to see how you've done it, especially where you've drilled through and run the cable inside the roof, next time you have it up.

The panel was fitted by the people who did the roof, please don't judge me on the lump :rolleyes:

The cable enters the roof in the centre and runs to the back edge. Then through some conduit and pass through the metal cassette of the roof right in the back corner

IMG_5614.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

Thanks buddy really helpful. So when you drop the roof down, does that conduit just fall flat across the back without any issue?

Thanks buddy really helpful. So when you drop the roof down, does that conduit just fall flat across the back without any issue?
Yes, there is a bit of a curve in it when up so it naturally folds away from the canvas as the roof closes.

I need a new solar panel it seems on my Hilo… wish the Hilo didn’t have grooves in it at the back so it was flat haha

Back