Anybody managed to order one in LHD

Glenn Board

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I am looking at ordering a new Kombi, but as I live abroad I would prefer LHD, my dealer tells me not possible, butI think it would be, has anybody ever ordered a T6 in their UK with LHD please?

Hi, I drive in Europe most of the time so would prefer to have LHD, dealers tell me not possible, I can see why, and I don't mind waiting longer to get one, has anybody ever managed to order one in the UK ?

Would it work out better/cheaper contacting a dealership in Germany (or where ever else in Europe they may be cheaper?) buy from them, then re-register with the DVLA when you bring it back?

I think Euro spec are less, and I think the Brexit situation might make it too complicated to do now.

Hey Glenn...In my experience (previously bought an A3 Quattro) it is very easy to order and indeed save money on even a RHD when purchased in Europe. UK seems very disinterested in haggling, while major (close) European cities will entertain this. Also, purchasing in Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands or Germany is highly likely to also not be a language barrier. I ended up purchasing my UK spec from Hamburg, and drove back via Cuxhaven - Harwich (route no longer available), while you can of course drive to Calais and cross from there, which is still very easy and you get to enjoy the drive in your new car. Very cheap flights available to your chosen location (just arrange outside of school holidays). I - Paid VAT in Germany, drove on temp reg and simply registered in UK, paying a reg fee. German dealer was very familiar with the process (unlike me) and stated at least 2 UK specs are dropped off, with other cars every week, only to be collected and driven to the UK, occasionally current and settled British forces also buy cars from him, saving money, as they have some other savings to be made. I've gone for a full conversion, otherwise would have considered the same again, with my current order of a T6.1 Kombi - placed in April, with a, as yet to be confirmed build date...

Last edited:
Hey Glenn...In my experience (previously bought an A3 Quattro) it is very easy to order and indeed save money on even a RHD when purchased in Europe. UK seems very disinterested in haggling, while major (close) European cities will entertain this. Also, purchasing in Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands or Germany is highly likely to also not be a language barrier. I ended up purchasing my UK spec from Hamburg, and drove back via Cuxhaven - Harwich (route no longer available), while you can of course drive to Calais and cross from there, which is still very easy and you get to enjoy the drive in your new car. Very cheap flights available to your chosen location (just arrange outside of school holidays). I - Paid VAT in Germany, drove on temp reg and simply registered in UK, paying a reg fee. German dealer was very familiar with the process (unlike me) and stated at least 2 UK specs are dropped off, with other cars every week, only to be collected and driven to the UK, occasionally current and settled British forces also buy cars from him, saving money, as they have some other savings to be made. I've gone for a full conversion, otherwise would have considered the same again, with my current order of a T6.1 Kombi - placed in April, with a, as yet to be confirmed build date...

Hey Jez thanks for sharing your experience, I'm looking to probably buy from Europe, 2nd hand and via a dealer. I'm considering Hamburg along with Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen, Hannover or Braunschweig for example.

What would your approach be if you were after a 2nd hand low mileage T6? Would you dentify the dealers and check stock/availability directly?

I live in Spain most of the time but travel all over and none of the dealers of big brands in Spain are linked and able to pool or trade vehicles easily. Girlfriend wanted a Suzuki jimny and the dealers were useless. There are some exceptions, BMW have a loose network but it's not like the UK where I believe they're like more to a central dB of some kind.

D'you think VW dealers in Germany have eyes on national stock?

Any additional info and maybe even the dealership you bought from would be appreciated.

JR

Hi JR,
Well, I would perhaps start with approx 1yr old ones (Jahreswagen)...to see if the price is within reach. For this I just googled and found VW's main site in Germany...
With some minor German for type (Panel van, Kombi etc), age, mileage, colour, wheel base etc...) use Google Translate. If within your reach, then at least you have the assurance that it is a main dealer. Once you have a shortlist, make contact and let the conversation begin, initially via email and in English. Keep language simple and they will understand and happily reply, as they want your business.

Back