[Guide] Underside Engine Cover + Fitting Kit -- How I Done It --

Took my van in for its first service since I bought it (back in August) today and the mechanic recommended looking into getting something. Googled it and came across this thread (and forum) Based on this, I will be the proud owner of my own in about 4 days time.

Love the Video.

Sorry to resurrect an old(ish) thread but I was wondering whether anybody had had further experiences with taking a van in for service / oil change at VW with the under cover fitted and whether it presented any problems? Also, a big thanks to Dellmassive for the video - looks a simple enough job, even for a mechanical numpty like me!

The easiest option is just to remove it yourself - it’s dead easy. VW may charge their time to remove it, but I doubt they know whether one was fitted from new or not.

Pete

The easiest option is just to remove it yourself - it’s dead easy. VW may charge their time to remove it, but I doubt they know whether one was fitted from new or not.
Pete
Thanks for the suggestion but I simply can't be arsed to do a job like that especially when, as it is this morning at my place, very wet on the ground and near freezing. That's why I wondered whether VW had actually raised any issues with these covers during service work but I would happily pay an extra £20 (or whatever) if it came to it. As to them not knowing whether the cover was fitted from new or not, I suspect the lack of VW original part number might give it away.

Anybody other comments / experiences please?

Can't see anyone complaining about removing the cover. o_O VW have their own version on some vans.

It would take longer to write about it than just remove it!

anyone know where I can get the bolts

You just need some flange head bolts of the correct thread size and length. Think they are M8 from memory but remove one of the others and measure up. The originals are galvanised but stainless steel versions should do the trick as its not a critical position; e.g. Flanged Hexagon Head Bolts M5 M6 M8 M10 Flange Hex Screws A2 Stainless DIN 6921 | eBay

You may also want to run the right size tap through the thread in the chassis too to clean it up.

The firm on eBay that sells the cover (InterCarParts LTD | eBay Stores) seem to do them either with or without the bolts (with a £5 difference). If all else fails, it might be worth contacting them.

Out of interest, where did you get your cover from?

Hi guys. I posted this because both my 2.0 petrol and 2.5 diesel base model PV T4 came with a steel under tray with a small amount of sound deadening on it. Help on by 4 bolts from memory. My 2019 T6 base model has nothing underneath and big side gaps next to the shocks. Does anyone know the price of the OEM under tray . Also what is the OEM under tray made of.

Hi guys. I posted this because both my 2.0 petrol and 2.5 diesel base model PV T4 came with a steel under tray with a small amount of sound deadening on it. Help on by 4 bolts from memory. My 2019 T6 base model has nothing underneath and big side gaps next to the shocks. Does anyone know the price of the OEM under tray . Also what is the OEM under tray made of.

@Rob2500 - I bought 1 from Vw earlier this year and its made from really heavy duty plastic.

Pics / info here:
What Have You Bought Today?
Cost was just a little less than £200, including the M8 bolts and the VAT.
Expensive, but worth it to protect the underside.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about one of these for a while now and re-reading this thread has made me press the buy button for the Autocarparts version on eBay (here: Under Engine Cover Undertray + Fitting Kit for VW Transporter T5 & Caravelle Van | eBay). I doubt if the plastic will be quite as thick as the genuine VW one but it's not far off a quarter of the price and therefore worth a punt. I'll report back on how a mechanical idiot like me gets on with the installation!

Back