Any Insurers Happy To Accept Ghost Immobiliser Instead Of A Tracker?

andthedogcomestoo

VIP Member
Just upgrading my policy from panel van to camper following a Bilbos conversion and current insurers are insisting on the fitting of a tracker. Having looked at the various Security threads and posts on the site it seems that Ghost Immobilisers are preferred by several T6 owners and obviously don't require an annual subscription which a tracker does.
Wondering if any of you guys have found an insurer that accepts an G I instead of a tracker?
Cheers Roger

Nope, just find an insurance company that doesn’t require a tracker, safe in the knowledge that with the AG it won’t need tracking.

I went for both a Ghost & a Smartrack Protector Pro Tracker (£199) for full peace of mind. With this tracker you can buy a lifetime subscription for £399 instead of £149 per year, so if you plan to keep the van for several years this is the cheapest long term option

I think the threshold value for street parking is about 48K from what I remember getting quotes without a tracker.

I think the threshold value for street parking is about 48K from what I remember getting quotes without a tracker.
Probably postcode, I insured our cali for on street.
Ironically on street is probably less risky now due to key thefts, the thieves won’t know which house to break into.

Just had my renewal come through and I’ve had to call Adrian Flux, spoke to a very nice lady and she looked if any other insurer would insure the van without a tracker, answer was No due to the value.:(

So I’m in the market, forced :mad:, for a tracker...

Pleased to confirm that I have just agreed a new policy with Brentacre who do NOT require a tracker for values below £50k. Best of all is that their premium is 50% of the one quoted by Classicline even though it's with the same insurer, Markerstudy, who via Brentacre now do NOT require a tracker! Apparently insurers have different terms with each broker - in this instance sometimes double the cost!!!!

The guy from Brentacre could not have been more helpful - highly recommended. Having the Ghost Immobiliser fitted anyway.

I think Justkampers Insurance is also a front for Markerstudy. I insure my campervan through JK and can confirm that they don't require a tracker either, at least not for a van valued at just under £40K . As an aside and unsurprisingly ,JK don't go give any discount for a Ghost installation either - a shame as I'm having it fitted next week.

Sorted out the tracker, with approval from the insurance company Adrian flux.
It went a little like this.
Will you insure me without a tracker?
Put on hold................answer no.
Looked on line for Trackers...omg units £200-500 some with fitting included however, all with subscriptions from £150 per year.
Found Global Trackers units between £55-85, called Adrian flux
I asked if they approved Global Trackers units? Yes, with a fitting certificate.
Fitting certificate? Asked Global Trackers yes we have certified fitters, but not in your area. However any auto electrician can fit one.
Quick call, £60 notes later and fitted with invoice/photo of unit fitted.
Sent these details to Adrian flux. Excepted insurance up and running.
Best thing is subscription only £4 per month!! And can be cancelled at anytime.

Having recently had ghost fitted, the fitter said you can get a tracker for 150 with no subscription. You pay a one off fee of £30 if it were stolen and a control centre then inform the police where it is... Seemed cheaper than a rolling continual subscription...

Anyone know if fitting a Ghost reduces insurance premiums? I've just got the standard T6 security at present but am interested to fit a Ghost especially if it will pay for itself in reduced premiums over a few years

I've got a Ghost but not had to renew insurance since it was fitted so I'll find out soon! That said, I suspect it would take a bit more than a 'few years' for it to return the investment in insurance discounts alone.

I've got a Ghost but not had to renew insurance since it was fitted so I'll find out soon! That said, I suspect it would take a bit more than a 'few years' for it to return the investment in insurance discounts alone.
Haha, yes probably a tad optimistic. The main benefit is always not having to replace a stolen van

Just Kampers were happy I had a GhostII and didn't even question it further. My tracker is also not the standard cheap ones as it has a dedicated location team so that sealed the deal. Didn't really reduce the cost as much as parking off road! :confused:

Back