Any foam or packing experts in here?

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
I'm after a specific type of foam that we use for kneeling on at work and cannot find it sold in a single sheet.
Before people suggest loads of different kneeling options, we've probably already tried them and this foam we finally narrowed down was perfect until it was left at a job by my brother and oddly none of the customers could find it..
From what I can ascertain its called 'Stratocell Polyethylene foam' and looks exactly like the picture below. I managed to get hold of a sheet of this around 1000mm by 500mm and it was the thickest they do, in 100mm I think.
I only need 1 sheet of this and we got it off a customer that had a helicopter engine packed with this stuff. Its literally the best kneeling pad I'd found in all my years, and I'm lost without it.
We've managed to find a much thinner sheet of the same foam, but the slightest bit of wind and its lifting up and getting in my way.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone got any of this stuff at home or work that they can sell me?

STRATOCELL_FOAM_1.jpg

Funnily enough i completely agree, have a sheet of this for garage duties. Came in packaging for something though and can’t remember what!

Snickers trousers and decent knees pads for work though.:thumbsup:

I'm after a specific type of foam that we use for kneeling on at work and cannot find it sold in a single sheet.
Before people suggest loads of different kneeling options, we've probably already tried them and this foam we finally narrowed down was perfect until it was left at a job by my brother and oddly none of the customers could find it..
From what I can ascertain its called 'Stratocell Polyethylene foam' and looks exactly like the picture below. I managed to get hold of a sheet of this around 1000mm by 500mm and it was the thickest they do, in 100mm I think.
I only need 1 sheet of this and we got it off a customer that had a helicopter engine packed with this stuff. Its literally the best kneeling pad I'd found in all my years, and I'm lost without it.
We've managed to find a much thinner sheet of the same foam, but the slightest bit of wind and its lifting up and getting in my way.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone got any of this stuff at home or work that they can sell me?

View attachment 85902
We get deliveries at work packed in that stuff all the time. I'll check tomorrow afternoon what thicknesses we've got there and if thick enough I'll be able to get you some.

Halfrauds used to sell a crawl mat made of this

Just looked and nothing like that now.
I find that these things sold purposely for kneeling or crawling are too thin. My stuff was meant to protect something very valuable, so much thicker.

This any good - up to 50mm thick....

I've been through that website and no, 50mm is what I have currently and its too floppy.

I basically use this stuff when kneeling on my scaffold tower and working the top front panels of Motorhomes, if its too thin, it tends to fold against you when working in wind.

We get deliveries at work packed in that stuff all the time. I'll check tomorrow afternoon what thicknesses we've got there and if thick enough I'll be able to get you some.

Fantastic, thanks Chris.
I had a feeling someone on here would know this stuff and used it at work to package things.

Just looked and nothing like that now.
I find that these things sold purposely for kneeling or crawling are too thin. My stuff was meant to protect something very valuable, so much thicker.

I've been through that website and no, 50mm is what I have currently and its too floppy.

I basically use this stuff when kneeling on my scaffold tower and working the top front panels of Motorhomes, if its too thin, it tends to fold against you when working in wind.

Can you spray-glue two bits together? I did this with upholstery foam and carpet glue - the high heat stuff.

Draper 01032 Mechanics Foam Mat
by Tools To Buy Ltd
Learn more: Draper 01032 Mechanics Foam Mat: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

View attachment 85907

Tried that exact kneeler and they are ok for a short period, but not prolonged use.

We've been through loads of kneelers, from this style, right down to the expensive memory foam style which are probably the worst of them all because you quickly sink through that type. Nothing compared to this basic packing foam I lost.

As a last resort yeah I guess that would work. I will see if Chris has what I need first.
Unfortunately we've only got 25mm thick here, but we've got loads of it. It all just gets thrown in the skip and never re-used, which is a shame for a number of reasons.

Unfortunately we've only got 25mm thick here, but we've got loads of it. It all just gets thrown in the skip and never re-used, which is a shame for a number of reasons.

I measured my current pad and its 25mm, so a 50mm foam should be sufficient I think.

I’ve used this company before, it’s part of Putnams, they are well established upholsters and know everything there is to know about foam.
Very reasonably priced inc delivery.
They cut to order.

Last edited:
I use a Yo-yodesk mat. We got stand up sit down desks at work and these got sent with them. Yo-Yo Mat I snaffled a couple for the garage and theyre diamond. Great for kneeling on. Good luck on your search.

View attachment 85902
Speak to a chap named Phil Johnson at Ramfoam Ltd. Tell him what you are looking for and he may be able to help you. Tell him Danny from DCB put you onto him.
:thumbsup:

Doh! Literally chucked some of this in the bin yesterday (and they collected yesterday too).

Not sure where you're based, but if I find any more while clearing out, will let you know.

Back