Any bikers tow a bike with their T6?

Guess i was just questioning the strength of the lashing points in a rather long winded way ?
Thats a good suggestion about the towbar

@Pauly, no offence meant etc, thought I'd take the chance to add the belt and braces suggestion:thumbsup: I know what you mean ref the load points, might be an area I'll try to find out about ref their strength via VW:thumbsup::whistle: My point was & is to make people use more lashings than just the standard two, as what's a bit of time? :thumbsdown:, you might be killed or injured riding your pride and joy, but the idea is not to be killed or injured by it whilst not:whistle::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I understand these concerns @Pauly and @T6 Dave about the lashing points not being man enough in those circumstances. Is it possible to use a longer bolt to go right through and use a heavy duty spreader plate with nylock nut?

If you use 6 of the 8 (all 8 is good if available ), load points then that should hold the bike if van is on its roof (straps need to be good). Tie the front and rear wheels back, and apply the front brake (although not strictly necessary) and put angled pulls on not just straight down. Should be good to go, especially with the last ditch anchor strap as well. If it can't move, the force needed to pull out from floor is greater than if it has a snatch effect. The load points should be able to restrain the vehicles load capacity, just need to find their ratings. And multiple lashings spread the forces and load.

I used to do a fair few track days on my Fireblade and some racing also, the more straps the better for me, even if it's probably for peace of mind!
I always dropped the bike into gear to lock the back wheel and lashed a small strap round the front brake lever to the handlebar grip, never any problems:)

I been seriously thinking about these past few comments.
Take a bike weighing ?150 + kgs (thats roughly how much mine weighs, HDs etc gonna be more) in the event of a front impact i cant see any amount of lashing to rear tiedowns is going to stop that bad boy flying forwards and seriously injuring the front occupants ?
I have removed and refitted the lashing points in my van and its just a bolt screwed into a hole, they dont even go through that far
Low speeds would obviously be fine but i honestly dont think i would travel at motorway speeds with a large metal lump like that behind me
Totally agree @Pauly, it'd rip the tie down points straight out of the van floor. Seen enough crashes involving vans and lorries where the load has done some pretty messy things to the poor sod up front. I'd personally go for a trailer every time.

1inch of weld will hold 1 ton, there's 6 to 8 tie down points. The load capacity has to be able to be restrained by the load lashing points if used correctly. I've put a few ton pull on a welded bolt (I welded it) on a vehicles chassis leg to pull a dent before now.

Having said all that, it's each to their own, you are responsible for your own loads. I am merely trying to get people to put more than 2 straps on!:thumbsdown::whistle::whistle::whistle:

Having re read the last paragraph it could be a bit rude :eek: Or am I just a bit twisted :whistle::uh run:

Last edited:
Back