Any Advice On Repairing (slightly) Cracked Bumper

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
IMG_0524.jpeg Hi I opened up an old crack (previously repaired I guess by the last owner) by just touching a post whilst reversing (honest!) anyhow just in case anyone has had to repair a similar kind of crack in a rear bumper I was wondering how to go about it.. I see the kits in Halfords etc but was wondering if anyone has some sage advice ?

Last edited:
2 options...
1) bodge it and not have to mess with the paint too much (just a touch up pen), it wont be perfect and may open up again in the future.
2) do a proper job and plastic weld it up and strengthen it from the back, then prep and repaint...a lot more work but if done correctly, should look like new.

which sounds most appealing?

2 options...
1) bodge it and not have to mess with the paint too much (just a touch up pen), it wont be perfect and may open up again in the future.
2) do a proper job and plastic weld it up and strengthen it from the back, then prep and repaint...a lot more work but if done correctly, should look like new.

which sounds most appealing?
Number 2 for sure ! So what is plastic weld ? How would one go about that job ? That’s what I need a pointer with ... Im fed up of throwing my money at Halfords .. and not being sure if what I’m buying is the best product available . I’ve no problem taking off the bumper and working on it for a couple of days if needed

Any motorcycle shop will put you onto a professional plastic welder. A good weld will be invisible :)

these videos best show you what plastic welding is all about..

I've done the slightly more bodgy welding using scavenged filler material (generally trimmed off a part of the bumper that isnt seen/needed underneath).

I’ve repaired similar with Araldite exoxy resin and glass fibre backing tape.
All depends on how much money you want to spend.

Back