Anti-slide mat for cargo area ideas?

tram

Engineer
T6 Pro
I should have got the rubber mat for the cargo area, but I didn't take the option. Anyway, I put a board down on it and bolted it down and varnished it. The problem is that I store my stuff in plastic poxes and they slide about too much. I will have to do something to give it all a bit of friction grip. Doesn't need to be much, just to stop a bit of a slide about.

I was thinking of a bit of carpet which I might glue down.

But I just wonder if any of you have a better idea?

Could always try gluing a bit of Velcro to the bottom of the box, and the gluing/ stapling the other piece to the wooden floor. You can buy rolls of Velcro strip at places like hobbycraft

Could always try gluing a bit of Velcro to the bottom of the box, and the gluing/ stapling the other piece to the wooden floor. You can buy rolls of Velcro strip at places like hobbycraft

I have put a big heavy board almost the whole length of the cargo area, on which is a permanent bed. This platform is raised about two feet off the van floor. All the stuff and luggage is stored beneath the platform in fairly big plastic storage tubs in various colours to code for what they contain. Use of this system means I am reaching under the platform and sliding them all around to get to the tub I require. Some of these tubs can be quite heavy. I think velcro wouldn't work for me, but thanks for the idea.

I bought some of this matting for my T5 and cut it to size.
CHECKER PLATE RUBBER MATTING

That matting looks like it would maybe do the job well, but as i slid the boxes around then it may perhaps grip too well. It is hard to know by looking. But thanks for your help. I may go this way.

It is only now that I am realizing just how important this ability to allow friction but also slidability is. Quite technical and crucial to get right because the concept/system of this storage works very very well. I can store a real lot in this way using the whole cargo floor area.

To write a bit more about this, we had a touring caravan; still do. We have camped all over before that for many years.

We had always considered a mobile home but it would have been too big for practicality. Eventually we made compromises and, because of our previous camping and caravaning experience we figured that to us the main thing was to have a place to sit and a very comfy bed. Sink and all that stuff we could live without as we could find all that externally on the road.

I put many cargo nets on the inner roof area so that we can reach up and get our stuff like dvd player or radio, specs and whatever. And i put hangers with pockets down the sides for other stuff. I put outside use fold up chairs and table down the other inner side over the rear wheel arch with simple bungee cord to keep it in easy storage position. The windows we can black out with black felt which velcros in place and is rolled up and so simply drops down into place. With no bulkhead and single passenger seat we can easily move between the seating area and the bed area. So we kept it very simple.

Thus we was able to get a swb low top. The reason why we needed a swb low top was because we needed it as our daily car vehicle and that it was nippy and niffty and could get in height restricted car parks etc, etc. because the reason for it all was that we like going off exploring and getting all over the place. So it has worked well for what we want.

But the storage is crucial to get right. With such restricted space the boxes get shoved and shuffled very much, but they slide about too much when the van is in motion. That rubber mat looks great. I'm torn.

But anyway, I write this thread partly because I hope it helps by looking at the question of storage, which is probably a quarter to a third of the whole touring job.

Cheers.

Try ribbed rubber matting. With the ribs/lines running too the back of the van, I'm able to pull gear easily out of the van, but there's enough friction to stop movement in transit.

I bought some rubber mat. It was 3mm thick by 1.5 metres by 3 metres. It was from Amazon and 36 quid delivered and came quickly. It was coin pattern grip as gives all direction slide movement. I simply cut it to size and laid it on the varnished hardboard and put the stuff back in and tested it. It was perfect. No movement at all, but they can be pulled and shoved easily. Simple as that. I am very happy with the result. Cheers.

Back