Another California on its way..

Another error we made that can be avoided - be very aware of what's run off the drivers battery and what's off the leisure batteries.
The lights and stereo drain the engine battery very quickly - don't leave the ignition on for more than 10 minutes and try and always raise and lower the roof with the engine on if possible (they don't like it and tell you off but you'll save a flat battery).

Luckily I was on a slight slope and bumpstarted mine when it happened but you can't do that with DSG!

If you're ever in doubt and near a 240V main supply, use the hook up cable (and supplied adaptor - you STILL need a UK socket adaptor though) and it'll trickle charge all batteries. The leisure batteries run the fridge for at least four days on a charge - a quick 10 minute drive and they're charged up again. Incredible efficiency. You can keep an eye on battery charge via the control panel.

When we had the T5 the battery fan down after a couple of weeks of no use and could not start the van one cold winter had to charge it up before we could get it going again a couple of times. Did not realise the charge point did both batteries though

The electrics take a bit of time to work out - don't forget when using hookup, switch off both fuse things in the control panel in the rear cupboard (just above where the gas bottle goes) - you flick them from green "on" to red "off" then back again once you unhook.

I'm about to change my T5 for a T6 conversion, one of the great things about the California is the furniture on the passenger side which means a tall driver can actually put the seat in a comfortable position, are there any other conversions where it's like this?

Uberbus do a conversion called the beach which they can supply either left or right sided. Evomotion can also make their kits left or right hand side i believe (although generally only useful if you have a twin slider)

Thank's for that, I wonder if I can get a base van with the right hand slider and still right hand drive.

I didn't realise Westfalia still made conversions, can't seem to find a link, do you by any chance have one?
Cheers
Dave

Blimey, I thought you had cancelled the California, had a refund of the deposit and was going down the full conversion route of a van with Exploria??
You have more changes of direction than the wife!!:D

No more "Team Bamboo"? :cry:
I couldn’t get any realistic dates for the conversion so ended up buying the California. Like I said to you at Busfest John , nothing is forever not even the wife :whistle:

Sweet.

I was thinking of B14's but I'm worried about creating any wiggle room on any future warranty claims.
I have B14's on MY18 Caravelle but I had them on the highest setting which I believe it is about 50mm below standard height.

Back