Android Based Headunit - Any Good??

Deaks

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I plan on installing a 360 camera system on our LWB T6.
The standard headunit will not accept a camera (oem or 3rd party), so I have to change it.
As much as I would like to replace it with something like an Alpine or Kenwood unit, the funds available for this whole project do not stretch that far!!

I saw this on fleabay, and wondered if it was worth considering.......
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-Car-Stereo-GPS-SAT-NAV-Android-8-1-DAB-WIFI-VW-Transporter-T5-T5-1-T6-Camera/323293934668?

I need to have two video inputs, one for 'normal' reverse cam, and another for the 360 system (these could be externally switched if need be).

DAB radio in my area seems a bit flaky, but I do need to be able to connect an iphone/ipod for music streaming.
Carplay would have been nice, but not a biggy as I have a separate Garmin SatNav.

What do you think?, or do have any recommendations based on experience that I should consider?

TIA

Deaks :)

I’ve just fitted a Pioneer Avh-9200dab, and I’m happy with it so far.

I had a Pumpkin audio headunit in my T5 and that had everything you would ever need on it. I never had any issues with it and would definitely use another. I did have to get a canbus adaptor for it though, about £30 from memory.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket Android media unit to replace the VW T6 unit?
If so which one have you installed or recommend?
I'm looking for one that has DAB, Bluetooth, Mirror phone, GPS, reverse camera.....

Thanks

I have the kenwood 9190 dabs.... it has all the features mentioned and keeps reversing camera, also integrates with MFSW and cluster info panel when on sat nav. Would recommend.

I have the Pioneer AVIC - z9200DAB

It has all the features mentioned and keeps reversing camera, also integrates with MFSW and cluster info panel when on sat nav. It also has a built in DVD player with video out. And is compatible with both Apple Carplay and Android. And had two dedicated USB cables one for IOS and one for Android. And will accept to phones connected at the same time to play media from.

What are the PDC'?

Parking sensors...

i have android auto comparable devices in other vehicles but cant be bothered with the plugging in of cables etc... wireless android auto would kinda do the job, but would rather a android head unit so as to be able to install apps directly on to it.

sorry if im hijacking this thread, but it sounded like the OP and myself are thinking along similar lines?

Has anyone installed an aftermarket Android media unit to replace the VW T6 unit?
If so which one have you installed or recommend?
I'm looking for one that has DAB, Bluetooth, Mirror phone, GPS, reverse camera.....

Thanks

We can help pointing you in the correct direction

It’s all possible to retain the parking sensor display, MfSW, mfd info, dash usb, and the dabsm aerials,

We can supply it as a kit form or install it for you

Drop us a pm or call 01980 624740

Parking sensors...

i have android auto comparable devices in other vehicles but cant be bothered with the plugging in of cables etc... wireless android auto would kinda do the job, but would rather a android head unit so as to be able to install apps directly on to it.

sorry if im hijacking this thread, but it sounded like the OP and myself are thinking along similar lines?
Kenwood 8019dabs, wireless android auto :thumbsup:

Thanks for the response. The suggested units are out of my £400 budget that my boss (wife) will allow.
Was looking more to the ebay/amazon probably Chinese units that appear to have all the spec but a third of the price.

I think the 8019 is 450 these days? With a discount code I'm sure you could get it for 400!

But you have still got to buy all the other stuff needed to fully integrate it into the van. If the quote that I had is anywhere near representative, that could amount to another £300 or so. Add in the costs for fitting and it was enough to put me off until I can swing the larger sum past the Mrs!

But you have still got to buy all the other stuff needed to fully integrate it into the van. If the quote that I had is anywhere near representative, that could amount to another £300 or so. Add in the costs for fitting and it was enough to put me off until I can swing the larger sum past the Mrs!
Yes that's what I'm also finding. I can't justify the additional cost for the adapters. It's a nice to have but not necessary. A lot of the aftermarket seems to be the Chinese Market which is what I was looking for where you get the same spec for a third of the price

You don't need to spend 300 on adapters, you can get a decent kit from incartec for 100 and it comes with everything you need to plug it in bar an aerial adaptor which is a fiver tops:thumbsup:

Well I still stand by the Pioneer. The sound is fantastic. And overall I am very happy with unit which is both IOS and Android compatible. To the point that it has dedicated USB inputs that allow the unit to dictate certain software features.

It was a ball ache to fit myself. Things have changed a lot since I had changed car stereos 20 years ago. And there were times when I would have quite happily paid the £80 fitting charge that was offered when I purchased the unit online. The biggest problem was fitting all of the wiring loom back into the dashboard as the new unit is double DIN in size in actual terms rather than just the front fascia in the OEM unit. But I removed the aircon panel and I was able to find lots of space to push the cables and interface unit out of the way.

Specifically there have been issues in retaining the FM and DAB ariel signals from the built in aerials in the wing mirrors. I ended up using Connects2 technical service as the online retailer sent the wrong ones. And buying alternatives still didn’t solve the problem. I now have a roof mounted Sharkfin aerial which is multi functional and this has solved all problems.

Reverse sensors still operate the same. The GUI isnt quite as nice as the VW OEM look. But it works for me. And I have a reverse camera too that I fitted which is fantastic a Pioneer ND BC8. In both day and night time operation even with such one reverse lamp.

I am glad I fitted it myself in the end. But you just have to allow time and patience.

01B9CC80-012A-44E1-93B1-B4C27CF503FE.jpeg

B3DE6BEF-D3CF-4C84-99E2-EDAB5C310E01.jpeg

67BFDD33-4612-4325-9D65-92DC52A31F71.jpeg

06BCDC9D-393D-4057-ABA2-4B3DE02AF772.jpeg

7320C58A-65D7-41F5-BBED-B5A5982B6707.jpeg

A3C64A4C-177D-42F5-A550-A52FE100EC3D.jpeg

76447B37-C456-4EC2-AA5F-E6227928A8D4.jpeg

7B38E445-CEC6-420E-A074-2943EACBD788.jpeg

Back