And here's a thread ...

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
That almost doesn't mention bloody LED lights... ;) :devil: :whistle:

We have very powerful xenon lights on the BMW (which are actually more effective than the LED lights that are now standard on the M140i apparently) but they don't seem quite such a subject of near obsession on BMW forums.

Just saying'

Well us mere Van drivers have to get exited about some thinks you no....not all of us own flash bms ! (Well me anyway)

Just saying ;):);)

Well us mere Van drivers have to get exited about some thinks you no....not all of us own flash bms ! (Well me anyway)

Just saying ;):);)

Tee hee - good reply! Our BMW is only a mere shopping hatchback though.
Not very good lights on the Subaru though :( Giant fog lights help but it's a bit annoying for others using them when it's not foggy.

Im so tempted to edit your sig
Perfectly decent standard H7 lights - but i really wish i had LED ones :(

How about if I am glad I didn't spend £1600 on some lights? Driven the van three times in the dark since May, happy with the standard lights, £1600 covers an awning, privacy glass and cruise control (just about). Sounds like the H4s really are bad but the same (as LEDs) shaped H7s seem to be perfectly okay.

It's a bit of fun but literally every other thread I read manages to mention LED lights.
The wife also thinks the LEDs look chavvy. :whistle:

We do have LED rear lights - not really bothered.

I'm all for high performing lights. Completely changes the look of the car or van. I don't like t5 or t6 standard lights.

Even on my prelude there was only 1 light option which I don't like the look of so I opened mine up and retrofitted infiniti fx-r bi xenon projector headlights into them. Completely different now.

I upgraded the lights on my 2007 110 Defender because they barely worked but they had to be returned to standard when I sold it (to a dealer)!

The "look" is of nearly zero interest to me - if they are lights and enable you to see in the dark, that is fine. Aftermarket white lights do look horrific though if looks matter. However I do really like the look of our Starlight Cali although I'm still not sure about the "all chrome" grille.

And the LED DRL thing is a bit naff on many cars - Audi, LR and more do that ridiculous "frowning" thing with LEDs that looks dreadful.

Allow me to shine some light on the subject- forewarned is forearmed. If I had known just how bad the H4's were, I would have upgraded them on the original order- I too baulked at the LED cost but silly old me didn't realise there was a middle option. My Dad's Peugeot based campervan has a twin H7 system and they are very good. As good as you'll ever likely need in fact.
My wife's Mini has the LED's that came as part of the Chili pack and they are frankly excellent although do give a weird blue tint to everything.

P.S, @Polzeylad, i do believe LED's have overtaken 20" alloys to the top of your pet peeve list.

However I do really like the look of our Starlight Cali although I'm still not sure about the "all chrome" grille.

And the LED DRL thing is a bit naff on many cars - Audi, LR and more do that ridiculous "frowning" thing with LEDs that looks dreadful.

Yer the all chrome front upper grill isn't for me. I bought one for my new van because it's gloss black and I removed and painted the upper middle chrome strip gloss black so it follows the led lights better with the top chrome strip and lower, I have not seen it done yet on any t6.

I think the distinctive led look each car has looks great although you can't beat the good old Bmw halos.

I still get a buzz driving at night in the van with a stunning wide beam of light. They look much better than standard headlights in my opinion. It's a van, yes, would like a sporty car too, but also love the practicality of a van, unfortunately my funds don't stretch to both, so spent my savings of 10 years on my dream vehicle, which I would like to look a tad sporty too, and yes, with a few mods.

Xenon on my Jag are good so are the LED on my Harley both are better than the standard lamps on my wife's Citroen.

Tee hee - good reply! Our BMW is only a mere shopping hatchback though.
Not very good lights on the Subaru though :( Giant fog lights help but it's a bit annoying for others using them when it's not foggy.
Only a mere shopping hatchback isn't it top of the range for the 1 series 135 msport ? :D

Msport, is that better than a normal 1 series then? Is it more high tech than standard, can't see why anyone would buy one of those, especially when it costs more and used as a shopping trolley :D

Last edited:
Must be great fun for modern lights, my first car was a Mini and the lights on that were abysmal in fact the daytime running lights on my swift give more light. It was not until I bought some Cibe H4's that I could see the road and even better when I used Super Oscar driving lights with them. I'm unsure about LED's as headlights even though I use led lights in the house, I happy if I can see the road clearly

I was thinking of upgrading to tungsten?
Picture this, it's 1979, very dark in rural Hampshire, I'm chucking my 1966 Vauxhall Viva around the lanes on the way home from the pub, suddenly darkness! Hit the (drum) brakes come to a stop half up a the verge having hit a fence post on the way, in a cloud of dust and a strong smell of the brown stuff. Restart the car drive home on side lights duly cursing. Halfway home light come back on, next day I find out it was the thermal cut out under the dash had tripped, then reset once it cooled down!
Probably caused by the large spotlights I'd fitted without a relay, solution, bypass the cut out, damage limited to one bent bumper!

Back