Ancillary 12v supplies cut-off switch?

drew_greenday

T6 Guru
So my van has been sat for a few weeks and the battery is dead again. Its a fairly new battery and this is getting expensive now.

I'm thinking of adding a VSR attached inbetween the +ve and the outputs but leave the van electrics permanently attached, so this will be the amp, sub and cable leading to the dc-dc charger all through the 200 amp relay.

So my question is, do i add this to a 12v rocker switch in the cab, or route it through an ignition feed so its automatic? I would like it to be automatic but can settle for a switch if needed.

I fully understand dc-dc charger requirements etc and this vsr is purely for isolating the outputs to stop draining my battery.

This was the one i was thinking of getting. 12V 200A Heavy Duty Relay

Cheers and Merry Christmas

So i think i'm going to go for a 200a relay that is activated by a 12v rocker switch from the dash. Any one have one they recommend?

Do you know for sure that your amps / CTEK are causing the draw when the van is parked?

Even a disconnected battery will self-discharge over time. You really need some means of maintaining it whether that be a plug-in maintenance charger, solar or a manual top-up regime. If its a camper cant you connect the EHU now & again?
Cheers
Phil

I could easily connect a trickle charge unit and this could be the way ahead but I was hoping the battery would last 3-4 weeks. I have a golf gti that lasts 11 without any issues.

@Deaky, i'm not sure its the sub and leisure battery but i don't know what else it could be.

The battery in our T6 lasts 4 weeks easily, and that’s with a DC-DC charger (for the leisure battery) connected permanently.
You need to find out what is drawing the current.

Pete

Well besides anything wrong with the van, it has to be the amp/leisure battery or sub.

I think i'll go for a relay with a cut off to eliminate all those to see how it goes. Then probably a trickle charger if that doesnt work.

Mine only lasted 3 weeks with a tracker running. Hooked the solar charger up to trickle charge the starter and problem solved.

Reactions: CAB
Back