Ambient Lighting Options

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Whist down my local scrappy I brought a load of LED footwell/puddle lights from a Golf R. I'm now going to wire them into my van but what options do I have?

The van must come with different lighting circuits, does anyone one know what they all are and what triggers them to come on?

For example the interior light fades on and off with the door open, but instantly goes off with ignition.

Another circuit I can see is the switch illumination which only comes on with the headlights, and dimming controlled by the fade switch.

What circuit are the foot-well lights normally connected to?

I've also got a light for my glove box. Is this normally on (via the switch) or is it normally connected to the switch illumination.

Thanks in advance.

OEM Caravelle step lights and ambient footwell lights are on the illumination circuit grey/blue wire but many people choose to retro fit them to the courtesy circuit. The glovebox light is connected to the courtesy circuit.

Cheers Deaky.
Are there only 2 ambient lighting circuits? BMW (who I work for) have 5 !
There is only one ambient circuit that does the switch illumination, steps and door pockets in a 'velle this comes on with the lights I think or maybe an ambient light sensor. The other is the courtesy light circuit that's activated on unlocking the van or opening a door.

The foot well lights come on with the ignition in my Caravelle, as well as the upper door pocket lights and a light in the plastic trim behind the front seat bases.

I'm not sure on any of the others but can check later.

Back