ambient lighting in doors

The LED ambient lights only work one way round - I.e + and - need to be correct. I tested which way round by testing directly on 12v supply. Can’t remember which way round they were.

Also can’t eemember which positaps I bought now. I think they may be second size up from memory. I’ll look at my emails and see what I bought.

I have Gen6 door cards with the ambient lights, they are not very bright LEDs , they just light the door handle and the top pocket a bit.

Randomly @StudleyGlass, I have a gen six but I dont have any ambient lighting in the door, (just been out to check i wasnt going mad lol)

Does @Pauly do a full kit inc the light holders/sockets & loom I wonder

Last edited by a moderator:
They wouldn’t fit, the door card needs the cutouts/mounts manufactured in to use the OE ones

They wouldn’t fit, the door card needs the cutouts/mounts manufactured in to use the OE ones

Hi @Pauly do you still have or make the looms for the OEM ambient door lighting? I have the door cards with the lights but no connectors or plugs?

I need 2 kits if so.

How do you know your door cards are caravelle cards, is there an easy way without taking the doe cards off.
This is if you don’t have a velle.

@Texxaco to be honest I only refer to them as caravelle cards as that's what the guy selling them on ebay listed them as. Based on a video I've seen I'm led to believe the ones I have are from a Gen 6 edition. They have fabric on the center piece and brushed aluminium like trim same as the comfort dash. I think the caravelle ones have leatherette and a different coloured trim.... I might be completely wrong. I'm not sure if all gen6/velles came with these door cards or if they had to be specified at order stage. Some seem to come with VW ambient lighting, some dont. Wired mine in today, they look good.

@Texxaco sorry mate, I've not really helped with your question in my previous post, I think I got my threads mixed up and thought you was asking me directly.

@Texxaco there you go mate.

Fitted the caravelle door cards this afternoon/evening. Made up a couple of very simple looms once all the connectors turned up. I've used some auto connectors so the cards are still removable without any trouble. Other than that just crimps and loom tape. Tapped them into the ambient lighting circuit grey/blue from the window/mirror switches. I've took some pictures incase anyone is interested in doing the same... I'm no auto electrician but my wiring makes sense to me.
The lights are very subtle, I like that. They come on with the headlights and dim down along with the dash lights.

Happy days!

View attachment 104906

View attachment 104907

View attachment 104908

View attachment 104909

View attachment 104910

View attachment 104911

View attachment 104912

View attachment 104913

View attachment 104914

View attachment 104915

View attachment 104916

View attachment 104917

View attachment 104918

View attachment 104919

View attachment 104920

View attachment 104921

View attachment 104922

Hi guys can anyone help with the relevant connectors for the ambient lights I'm missing the the 2 female ends or are they supplied as a loom

Hi guys can anyone help with the relevant connectors for the ambient lights I'm missing the the 2 female ends or are they supplied as a loom

Do you have the green plug on the wire from the interior door handle light? And do you have the top pocket light connectors?

1623188700002.png
Made my own loom in lockdown 1. Drill the cards, fit the leds, wire up and wrap the freakin lot in cloth tape!

Do you have the green plug on the wire from the interior door handle light? And do you have the top pocket light connectors?
Yes the green plug is attached to the door handle light the top pocket housing is in place but need the male plug to plug into it

All I did with the green plug was snip it off and wire into the ambient pocket light loom. It means it's on all the time with the ambient lights but I don't mind that.

Hi guys, I’m in the process of retro fitting the caravelle door cards with original ambient lights. Sadly I am missing one door handle pull light (the long Perspex one with green connector). Any idea where I can source one, even with the part number off the one I have.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I’m in the process of retro fitting the caravelle door cards with original ambient lights. Sadly I am missing one door handle pull light (the long Perspex one with green connector). Any idea where I can source one, even with the part number off the one I have, main dealer couldn’t help me.
The part number will be the same but the last bit will be 15A or 16A if the one you have ends in 15A then you need 16A etc.

the part numbers are all listed here

Back