ambient lighting in doors

Sturge

IT Support
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just pricing up caravelle door cards, and want to put in ambient lighting. The dealer has included a wiring loom at £315 per door (!) - part number 7E2 971 121 J

I imagine there must be a lighting connector that i can tap onto without needing a new loom for the door? Obviously this is a big chunk at £630 + VAT

Any ideas?

I have made a couple cables/plugs up to feed the ambient lights on the door cards we have supplied ready to tap into button illumination, works fine but only when lights are on.
Gives handle and top compartment illumination

This is next on my project list. My initial thought was to use the illumination circuit to the door switches but I was wondering if there was any dedicated ambient circuit in the BCM. My wife's Evoque has low level ambient lights but when you open the door they get brighter. Sort of a cross between ambient lighting and courtesy lighting. I'm hoping the instrument lighting is say 5v because the led's are only dim then maybe I could connect them to the courtesy light isolated with a couple of diodes so they receive 12v when the door is open???:inlove:

I have Gen6 door cards with the ambient lights, they are not very bright LEDs , they just light the door handle and the top pocket a bit. I have them wired to the door switches so the work with the instrument lights and also they do dim as the dash lighting from the controller switch .
Would be interesting to see if that works @Deaky , but i bet a T6 is not that posh :D

perfect. whats the difference between gen6 door cards and the black caravelle leather ones?

Vele = leather
G6 = fabric
Both are available with or without ambient lighting

If take a look at this you can see the gen 6 door cards 10.15

caravelle version door cards 5.20

Last edited:
I have made a couple cables/plugs up to feed the ambient lights on the door cards we have supplied ready to tap into button illumination, works fine but only when lights are on.
Gives handle and top compartment illumination

Thread necro aside..

@Pauly any chance I could buy a couple of these? Fitting cali cards and I'd like to get the ambient lights working.

Are they illuminated Cali cards ??
These are factory lights that click into premade holes/grooves

Are they illuminated Cali cards ??
These are factory lights that click into premade holes/grooves

Yep, factory cards with the lights / plugs already installed. Just need something to wire them into. I know you can posi tap them in but a proper plug would be better.

On a closer look.... I have leds in the door handles (with the loom attached, just nowhere to plug it in) but also ambient leds in the upper door pockets (no looms on those).

Yep, factory cards with the lights / plugs already installed. Just need something to wire them into. I know you can posi tap them in but a proper plug would be better.
Just splice them into the ambient light circuit at the window switches. Blue/Grey is +ve. Brown -ve.

They come on with the instrument lights. If you have auto lights and leaving home enabled then they will come on when you unlock the door, providing it's dark.

IMG_4940.jpg

I did it like this (picture might be upside down , cant work it out!) Those red things are positaps.

You can use either connector. The blue/grey wire is the same circuit throughout the van.

Back