Amarok - any good.??

Radford1071s

Paul - Bawdeep
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hi afternoon gang my friend is considering buying a 2.0 diesel manual vw Amarok . I,m aware it’s not a T6 but I thought I would ask . Before he spends his hard earned cash. Are they worth it. ? Thanks

Hi afternoon gang my friend is considering buying a 2.0 diesel manual vw Amarok . I,m aware it’s not a T6 but I thought I would ask . Before he spends his hard earned cash. Are they worth it. ? Thanks
Typical pickup, horrible to drive unless it’s got some load in it. I’ve driven & towed with one (V6) and I wouldn’t buy one with my money.

Yeah I said the v6 would probably be better he has a big horsey type trailer and a double axle towing caravan.

I had a 2.0 180 Auto. As pickups go, it's a very good one.

However, I wouldn't have one as a car as they are too compromised. The rear seats are cramped and the backrests very upright. The bed, even with a roller cover or hardtop will let water in. Whilst they are designed for towing, they will drag a stock trailer down a farm track perfectly happily, but on the road they are not so good. The issue is the same with all pickups. The tow hitch is a long way from the rear axle, so the trailer has more leverage on the car, so can transmit fore and aft pitching.

If I ever needed another pickup, I think my money would go on a Navara. Coil springs beat leaf springs every day.

Last edited:
I brought one back in March, it’s the V6 :cool: my wife uses it as her daily and loves it, it tows our twin axle coachman with ease:) personally speaking I find it a great motor. I find the ride when towing very smooth and stable, being the V6 it also sounds pretty decent, agree that the load bed is not 100% dry but ours does not carry anything unless we are heading off for a break with the caravan:D

DC6146BA-BA86-4B2B-9763-754892309741.jpeg

I used to have plastic storage boxed strapped down in the bed to keep stuff dry. It was very useful as it made for easy packing when touring. The caravan could be kept light and stuff brought in and out when needed.

I had a V6, loved mine and wouldn’t hesitate to get another when the new shape arrives, subject to funds.

Personally, as much as I like the idea of a pickup I just can't see what they do, besides side stepping a bit of tax, that another vehicle with far more uses couldn't also do.
That V6 in a raised Transporter with proper rear biased 4WD however......

I've got 2, 400bhp V6 Auto, it will eat almost anything on the road and doest give up until 145mph!, rear seat is a bit compromised but OK its a pain for shopping but great for tip runs, other is a V6 204ps Manual, has low range diff locks etc, just driven it 5000 miles and all over everywhere in Iceland its got front lift kit and off road tires and guards etc it will go over, through and across pretty much anything you dare to try driving it on but gearbox is clunky as hell would say family car get auto, off roader get manual, ideally get T6 Syncro best of all the worlds

Back